Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website Production Cost? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniWorks

Technical User
Sep 8, 2006
GB
Hi there,

In the past two years I have produced a few websites but they have been for companies that I have worked full time for.

I have been asked to produced small website (as private work) containing information only (no forms etc) but I do not know how much to charge.

I would appreciate it if someone could give me some advise as to how much to charge.

Everyone that has told me about prices has said to find out what the average plumber makes an hour, and thats what you charge per hour. Let me give you this hint though, don't do any favors. I had someone that I work with ask me to do a "very simple website with only a few pages" so I agreed to help him out. We agreed on a set price and the website ended up being 85 pages. I got severly underpaid and learned a valuable lesson. Don't make the same mistake as me. Hope that helps.

Thanks,

nofx1728

If it is a simple website, you might want to work out a price per page and agree on a set number of pages. To work out how much to charge for a page, work out how much you want to charge per hour and then see how long it takes to make one page. I usually charge about the same for 1 page as I do for an hour or maybe a bit less.

nofx1728/hurley55,

nofx1728, I chuckled when I read your advice because that is the exact situation that I am in! So its a good thing I have been given prior warning. I'll apply both of your advice so that I won't get caught in the same trap!

Your advice is very valuable, so thank you.

Very good advice.

Produce a quote for a very clear site structure - number of pages, and links etc. Stick to that and give a per hour/day quote for extra work.

I amm on my fourth website that I am being payed to make. I find that my clients so far have very little idea of what a simple wesite is - for some reason they seem to take longer!

along with that has been said you should also state somehere in your quote that u allow x times of redesign per page...
it can be only a 5 pages but if they ask you 10 times to change those pages (colors,layouts, add header add this add that)...well it's not the same project anymore is it? :)
For this u can use scale concept. Define the side of the page Clearly...then set something such as...'if the page is modified more thatn 25% then it is considered t be an additional page or 1 regesign.
This is where templates and CSS use on sites comes really handly...switching back and forth from 'blue' to 'red' look is min. work for your...but dramastic change for client.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Hi

I'm doing a simple website which has just content on it witha few flash files i have made to add intrest.

The website will have about 35 - 40 pages.

What would you say to charge for this?

I just want to give them a completion cost not per hour.

I have a feeling they will want it mataining which will include updating twice a week?

Please advise

Thanks

Mike

I find this hard too.

I did some google work and discoverd some designers charge on a sort of set rate - ie £800 for 5 pages and so on. Personally, I think that's too rigid.

I decided on a day rate, worked out an hour rate. Then estimated (carefully!) the number of days of my time and came up with a figure like that. I have then increased my daily rate every time (liek I said, doing number 4 now)- I figured that I am still very green, so it takes me longer than it would take someone else.

A really useful piece of advice I was given was ALWAYS get their budget from them before you start talking numbers. This way you can tailor your quote to what they can afford.

For updating I charge on a per hour bases. (But I know its too low!)

Be intereseted to hear what other people do...

A written contract is needed, especially if it is for a friend. You also need to stipulate when the money is due, if there is to be half paid and then the rest on completion, etc.

Deadlines need to be set both to protect you and the client.

You also need to have in your comtract who will own the graphics that you use. Believe me, this has come up for other designers that I know.

If you only do half the site and the client says he has changed his mind and wants it redesigned, on whose nickel will that be?

Who will do the copy? I charge less since I will spend less time if the client gives me good copy that I don't have to edit and correct.

I won't tell you what I charge per hour as it is a lot more than a plumber. My contracts are tight and I learned that by getting stung once. But I was only out about $100 so that wasn't bad. And, hopefully, I won't get stung again.

I also design sites that comply to the Website Accessibility Standards (state and federal) so if the person is a vendor, there will be no problems down the road. It also makes their site accesible for PDA's, cell phones, etc.

I do not take on more sites than I can handle at one time. I also work for a company where I am the webmaster so I really dont want to be tied down doing this stuff at night. I don't want to get bored with it. I've been doing sites since the first browser gave us that capability and I want to remain fresh and excited with the net.

Look at some of the other contracts that other designers have made. You may find some on web sites. Study them and adapt their ideas into your own.

But have a written contract...That's a definite...Without it,, you won't have a chance to collect on a deal gone sour. Both you and the client will know the exact schedule and expectations.

Good luck!

**Quiquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.**

Do yo have any advice on how you can "Hurry things along"? I am finding it can take ages to get a site made because clients take SO long getting their act together

Agree deadlines and incorporate penalty clauses into the contract. If its a contract that has already been started then just explain to the client that unless they start to adhere to request deadlines you may have to start other projects that will affect their own delivery targets.

[Peace][Pipe]

Hi MiniWorks,

I use a worksheet from Patty Ayres to make a wild guess at the cost of producing a site for my clients. She also produced a contract form which I have altered to fit my needs - and of course you need to be sit down with your client and discuss what you are both going to do. I occasionally make the mistake that the client can actually write the content and this is usually where the delays come in.

You have to come up with a price for a small site. You wouldn't contract someone to do work for you without knowing what the final cost would be, so your clients won't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back