Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website not visible using NO-IP.com 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennieboy

Programmer
Jul 13, 2006
GB
Hi Gurus

I am running a Win2003 server holding an IIS6 website. I do not have a static IP address, so I am using NO-IP+ paid service together with their DUC client to host my website.

I can see the site from behind my router. the NAT services are setup to allow Port Fwd and the IIS setup is in place correctly.

I still cannot see my website outside on the www. Does anyone have a magic wand for me? Or a stick so I can hit it until it works?

I will really appreciate some help guys...

I am desperate for this to work...

Lennieboy -
Life is Good and God is Good
B-)

What is the site name? Running an nslookup against root servers will reveal if you are having a DNS problem.

The site name is
I was able to ping the site using the IP address currently set for it. How do I run an NSLookup?

Thanks

Len

Lennieboy -
B-)

OK - I ran NSLookup and it responded with an IP address, but the IP address it reponded with is not the one one currently assigned to the website IIS 6 server.

What am I suppose to see as the response?

Lennieboy -
B-)

Hi Serbtastic
Thanks for checking it for me, but this is the bit where I get lost. I have no idea how to do it.

I am not a Network admin and do not know where and how to set the configuration for the DNS records.

I paid for a domain name with Lycos and had a look at the Zone Manager there. I followed the instructions given to me by NO-IP to change the server name entries to reflect NO-IP NS names.

Having done all this I do not know what else I need to set in order to make this work. The DUC client is installed and running on the server and is suppose to automatically change my IP for IIS6, and this bit is working.

I assumed my ISP assigns a DNS automatically to my system, as in the case with an automatially assigned IP address when I log onto the
Any little light on this mystery will be appreciated. A star or 2 is guaranteed!

Len

Lennieboy -
B-)

Let's start with the basics. Run the command 'ipconfig' on your IIS server, and post the results here for analysis.

Thanks Serbtastic...

I ran IPConfig and this is what I got:

Connection Specific DNS : (nothing - it was blank)
IP Address :192.168.0.10
Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0
Default Gateway :192.168.0.1

My IP address is fixed - I set it up to be fixed on my DHCP server which is in my Wireless Router on my home network.

What would I need to do next?

Len

Next, hit this site to find out your public IP:

If it's 82.12.231.28, then you simply need to forward port 80 on your router to the IP of your IIS box (192.168.0.10).

This assumes your ISP doesn't block incoming port 80 requests.

Yes it is indeed 82.12.231.28

I will set up the Port Fwn on the router to do so.

Len

OK - That is now done.....there is a place to check it...and I checked it out:

On I entered my port number (80)for this IP address and my response was:

Success: I can see your service on 82.12.231.28 on port (80)
Your ISP is not blocking port 80

What do I look for next?

Len

If you have forwarded port 80 to 192.168.0.10, you should be good to go.

This is what I understand as well, but for some bizarre reason it is not happening...

I try to view the website and I cannot see it on the www.

What else could be wrong then? I am very confused about this problem, since I am doing everything I know I should be doing....

Len

Lennieboy -
B-)

Yes - I can. From my internal network I can see the site on IIS6 on the server on any PC logged on to my network at home.

But from outside my network the site is not visible.

It seems that the website is up now...

A friend just checked it and confirmed that it was open and up and running.

Thanks guys.

Len

Lennieboy -
B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back