Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

website not viewable inside the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

discgolf12

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2003
US
I work at a k-8 school and handle their computer and networking. The problem is that a district website is not viewable from within the network but is when I try from outside at home. Is this a problem with the router/switch or is it in the firewall. here is the info for the site.

>> nslookup
Non-authoritative answer:
Name: gabe.cd.pvt.k12.oh.us
Address: 198.234.201.99
Aliases: >>

Please help

Mike

Do all the computers have access to the internet? Can you get to yahoo.com for example? Is this the only site your having issues with?

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Yes I can go to all other sites just not this one.

WHat is the reason for this or how would you suggest fixing.

Mike

If this server is internal to your network. You have a firewall problem....Your firewall is not sending traffic to that network as it should.

Now if this site is hosted externally then you have other issues. But I would look into the firewall. Trying pinging the server from the firewalls interface that touches the ISP. Start from there and work your way back into your network. Shouldn't take long to find the problem. Good luck.

"I can picture a world without war. A world without hate. A world without fear. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
- Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

The problem is most likely that face that his website is hosted internal on his LAN, and he's trying to browse the website via the external IP. This will not work. Because as your PC see its your going out to the world. Where as the firewall sees that you're going from an internal IP that it knows to an external IP that it knows. Basically you're trying to go out and bounce right back in. The firewall knows this and denies it. So you need to setup an internal DNS that resolves that address to internal IP's or setup some kind of hosts file to help you out..

BuckWeet

The website server in question does not sit physically in our network, however, I do believe that the district website and our network/building use the same Internet Provider, MECC(grant funded). COuld that be the root of the issue? Suggestions

Mike

Have you tried doing a traceroute from inside the school network to see if you can determine where the packets are dropping off?

As a frame of reference, from my location I get:

C:\>tracert
Tracing route to gabe.cd.pvt.k12.oh.us [198.234.201.99]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms border [192.168.0.1]
2 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms <removed for security> [12.107.XXX.XXX]
3 <10 ms <10 ms 16 ms <removed for security> [207.252.XXX.XXX]
4 <10 ms 15 ms 16 ms <removed for security> [207.252.XXX.XXX]

5 <10 ms 16 ms 15 ms <removed for security> [207.252.XXX.XXX]
6 16 ms 46 ms 16 ms 12.125.120.37
7 15 ms 16 ms 16 ms gbr2-p27.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.123.193.70]
8 16 ms 31 ms 16 ms tbr2-p013602.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.11.53]
9 16 ms 15 ms 16 ms gbr5-p40.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.122.11.58]
10 16 ms 16 ms 31 ms gar2-p360.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.123.5.217]
11 16 ms 31 ms 16 ms 12.125.142.34
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 32 ms 31 ms 31 ms gabe.cd.pvt.k12.oh.us [198.234.201.99]

The only interesting thing I notice from the outside is that something is blocking my ping packets at hops 12 through 15. It could be a firewall sitting in front of those devices, or the devices themselvs may be filtering out the packets.

If you do the traceroute and sucessfully get out of your network before the trace fails, I would start to suspect that there is a firewall or router dropping your packets before they reach the site.

Agree with BuckWeek.

If the site is located in different side, ACL will probably the reason.

Please give us the topology.

Simon Yu
CCNP

Well the issue is resolved. When we were in the server room working this weekend the server running the DNS, literally died on us, bad Hard Drive error on restart. It was old so no big loss. We loaded DNS on another server and everything works fine.

Thanks for help.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back