Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website inaccessible from intranet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sborsos

MIS
Sep 2, 2002
CA
My website works fine from the outside, but I can not access my pages from the intranet using the internet address. I have static Nat configured.I have 3 public IP on the Watchguard external, each is redirected to internal IP's. What can cause this?

We get around this problem with the HOSTS file to map the domain name to the internal IP. We are a small organization so it is a workable solution.

...Dave

We use Web Check utility to view our public web site behind the NAT firewall. The utility will let you enter your URL and reflect it back to you so your server thinks it's comming from the internet instead of your NAT protected server.

Hi, I too have this problem. how do you go about setting up the DNS server to just resolve these names? and how do you get your clients to use that DNS server (when all that is usefull in it is those x number of names you have for sites on your server)? and do you have to set up a different server on the trusted network or can you stick the dns service on the webserver on your optional network? (i am running a win2k server and a firebox II with version 6.0 software)

Webcheck wasn't working when I checked, is there no other solution you can define in policy manager? Like putting in the domain names for each website you want to allow trusted>optional? It's really frustrating not being able to see your own websites and as it's all just a load of stuff I have at home i can't really do anything to my sites except at work!

any more light shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Hi all. For those who may be interested, the new version of WebCheck is posted for testing: »www.webcheck.orrtek.com[?]

Since this is a complete re-write, I would very much appreciate anyone who has time to "kick the tires" and otherwise thump on the thing.

This tool will verify that your Web Site is pulically available on the internet for those who are developing web servers and need an "outside" confirmation.

There are two ways of fixig this, both require work in different areas

Either add the DNS service to your server and set all your clients to use that first then the existing two DNS servers you had before

Or on each machine you can edit the hosts file directly.

Go to windows\system32\drivers\etc\ and edit with notepad the "hosts" file

In there add a line that will look like this:

You will have to do this to all machines, but it will save you the bother of working out the DNS service if you don't know it already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back