Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website feeding database

Status
Not open for further replies.

kieranplatt

Programmer
May 15, 2002
GB
I want to collect information from customers from a webpage form on a UNIX server - and be able to receive notification by email and also paste the data manually into my database. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi Kieran

Two suggestions - neither really easy I'm afraid - others may have further suggestions - but here you go:

1) Set up a MySQL database and write some script (php?) to write your form results to the new database. Then you would have to take the informatino from the new database to your access database. Not pretty but it should work, and MySQL and php are free.

2) If you have FrontPage 2000 or 2002 it is relatively easy to create an asp page to update an Access database. However, you would need to set up (or arrange with your ISP to set up) asp support on the UNIX server. AS far as I know there is only one solution for this, a (well regarded) third party package from chilisoft.com
This costs money, though. I guess it depends how much time you want to put into this. I personally find asp easier to work with in reference to an access database.

Good luck!

Pete

Thanks - I'm not bothered about the database being fed automatically - I'm prepared to accept an email or download a file from the server and then paste in to the database. I would just rather the form inputs on the website append a file on the server rather than having to paste loads of different entries. Does this make it easier?

Ah!

Well, you can find cgi scripts to POST your form results to, which will both email you the results and add them to a txt file on your server. Your ISP should have this script available. If not, look on scriptsearch.com

Easier still, though, is if your ISP has FrontPage estensions installed, and if you have a copy of FrontPage... It's dead easy to add a form and set it up to forward results to an email address as well as saving to a delimited txt file. You can then easily import from this file into Access.

There are sometimes some issues with installing cgi scripts with some ISPs. One local to where I live insists on vetting each script first before they allow it on their server! Also, some scripts require certain versions of the script language to be installed, eg Perl 5. However, your requirements are fairly common, and I would hope that your ISP already has a free version available for you to use pre-installed on your server!

My preferred option is to use FrontPage - I manage around 50 different websites with it and the occasional HTML formatting issues are far outweighed by its ease of use!

Cheers,

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back