Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Website appears on local network, but not outside 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rybo

Technical User
Jun 8, 2002
US
As the subject says, I can get my websites to appear on the local network (typing but outside of the local network, my website doesn't appear. It shows that it is going to my IP address, but the site isn't coming up. I have my firewall disabled. I have win2k pro, apache 2.0.43, norton antivirus, dynsite and winpoet running. I ran a port scan and port 80 is open. I don't know what to try next.

Thanks

How long since you registered your domain name? Some times it takes about 48 hours for the dns servers to propagate. But now that I reread your message I see that it IS going to your ip. Look in your error_log and access_log and see if you have anything that will help you narrow it down. If they are empty except for your local attempts, then apache is not getting the request from the web. Can you ping your web address from a remote machine? There are other things like trace route and dig, but without knowing your domain name, you pretty much have to check those on your own. The whole idea is to se how your domain name is being routed on the internet. The reason I am so slow to blame apache for this is because you can access it locally which means it is listening and is able to serve the http request.

I think I figured out that it is the router (this isn't actually my computer, so I haven't checked this yet). I think port-forwarding needs to be set up so the request is sent on to the server.

Ya darn tootins. The router must pass http traffic to your machine. Didn't know ya had a router. :)

So, I still want to know the website.....
signature-tektips.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back