Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

webserver dns

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyRiegel

Programmer
Sep 29, 2003
US
I believe this is a DNS issue, I've posted in other forums with no repsonse.

I have a RedHat Fedora Core 2 linux system which acts as a gateway to the internet for around 10 workstations. I can access the server from anywhere on the internet by http, ftp, ssh, etc. via IP address. My question is what do I need to do in order to give my system a domain name. I have always used hosting companies for my websites but would like to use my home system as personal webserver. I already have a domain name parked that I am not using.

Randy

If you have the domain purchased, you should be able to contact the provisioner and have them redirect the name to the IP Address you specify. Most of these companies offer a web front-end for you to modify your own.

Does that help??

If you're not sure who's got your record, go to and look up the record.

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

But won't forwarding just redirect it to the IP address then show the IP address in browser bar instead of domain name? Also, I want to set up emails on my server. I guess what I'm asking is how to get DNS servers to associate my domain name with my IP.

Randy

You need to set up a record in DNS that points to your server, either just an A record for the domain if you were going to host your website as domain.com or a host record such as you want Of course you will then need to configure your server to serve the correct index page.

As for email, you will need to create at least one MX record that points to your server.

" I guess what I'm asking is how to get DNS servers to associate my domain name with my IP."

yourdomain.com IN A 11.22.33.44 (whatever your IP address is).

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Both Netintruder and Chris are on the right track. I'm just wondering roughly how long the DNS changes will propagate to other public DNS's? It took dnssstuff.com 2 days(not sure how many hours) to reflect my change. I'm on GMT+8.

Typically within 24 hours this change will be propogated thorughout the Internet.

~Intruder~

"The Less You Do, The Less Can Go Wrong" :)

You should register your DNS name with your Domain Namespace Registrar in your country. Once you do that, you will have a DNS record in the registrar's DNS records. They should provide you with two nameservers. You should have the option to put in more nameservers or even input your primary nameserver into your record.

You can create your own DNS server. You need to register your IP address in the DNS record held by the Registrar. Do note that the IP address has to be a static address that is owned by you.

For your own DNS Server configuration, you need to specify one or more nameservers in your DNS configuration. You need to specify an A record, and am MX record.

IP address is provided by your provider. DNS record will link the IP to the DNS name. That is why you need to own the IP address as well as the DNS record.

Word of advice, go read up on DNS as it is too long to explain in detail. Also be ready to encounter a lot of pain. DNS Configuration typically is not so easy as it seems unless of course you are doing it day in day out.
:)

I'm not even going to attempt to setup my own DNS server. I have done some searching and thinking about using zoneedit.com. I can register my domain and IP address with them for free and use their DNS servers. Anyone had any experience with them? Good idea or bad idea?

Randy

I've been with Zoneedit for years, and they are GREAT! Never had a problem, and when my dynamic IP changes (my ISP changes it about once a year), the updates on Zoneedit's servers only takes about 5 min to reflect the changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back