Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

webscanx error on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empeethree

IS-IT--Management
Mar 27, 2000
US
While making sure all my machines where safe against nimda, a few machines have started having this error...

'WebScanX.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program.'

while other machines (set up 99.9% identical) have been working fine.

I have tried updating every possible piece of software to the latest and greatest, uninstall and reinstall, all the normal troubleshooting steps. Mcafee's website is useless, and only found others with the same problem on google..

any ideas ..

thanks in advance

Rob

What version of VirusScan are you using? You should check if you have:

1. the latest program version (4.5.1)
2. the latest DAT file version (4.1.4166)
3. the latest Engine version (4.1.50)

This should solve your problem.

We use McAfee's ePO management tool, and we have seen this when a policy is set for a PC that does not have all of the desired components installed (I think it is the Internet Filter and/or Download scan). We re-run setup and verify that those pieces are installed. In all cases, so far, the two components listed above were not installed, and installation of those pieces resolves the issue.

thanks for your input..

Avchap
I have all those up to date, the weird thing is it is only on a handful of machines. I have tried a uninstall reinstall, and still get the same message on start up (or first log in after start up I should say)

RickSunde
I have both internet filter and download scan installed.

this one has me stumped, but I will keep plugging away at it and if I find the solution I will post it.

thanks in advance
Rob

I am having the same problem with WebScanX.exe. I'm up to date on program version, dat files, and engine. It is happening on a Windows 2000 operating system. Have any revelations come about since October about this problem? Thanks for your time. Best, Stephen

None that I am aware of, I am thinking of just upgrading to the newest version.

hth
Rob

Hi,

We have had the exact same problem, we have found two ways of fixing this issue. We were also using epo and it only happened on a couple of machines. As you say all components were installed.

The first thing we tried

1 - Stop the epo service
2 - Uninstall vs
3 - Update ie (all machines having trouble we running v5) to v6. NAI say they don't support v6, but we had already done this and those machines were working fine.
4 - Reboot
5 - Let epo force install vs 4.5.1. I assume a manual install will work too.

The other option which seems to work and is better.

1 - Install vs4.5.1sp1

I have managed to get epo to roll this out via ftp although the readme says you should use and unc share. You will need another file that isn't with the download. i am not near the server at the moment, but I think it is a package description file. Tech support emailed it to me.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Michael Curtis

This may be unrelated, but we have had some of the same errors.
When we first implemented ePo, we had some machines that did not have the Email or Download scan components of VScan installed (Both I understand use WebScanX.exe).

I originally set up ePo to enforce a policy of enabling both the Email and Download scans. When the ePo agent would try to enforce the 2 components to enable, it would error out with your error message.

After a clean (FULL) install of VScan, all was well.

Good Luck!
alien.gif

[TAG]
anongod@hotmail.com
"Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing."

Performing a clean, full reinstall did not fix the problem for me. After doing a little research, I found that this is a known issue; the work-around is to downgrade IE to version 5.5 (or to disable Download scanning).

Here's McAfee's explanation:

WebScanX Error at Bootup

Customers using Windows 2000 and VirusScan 5.1x or higher are advised not to upgrade Internet Explorer 6.0 because of an incompatibility with the Download Scan/Internet Filter which results in a WebscanX error at startup. If you are experiencing this issue, you can disable Download Scan/Internet Filter as a workaround and set system scan to scan all files or downgrade to Internet Explorer 5.x.This issue only occurs with people running Windows 2000 professional, VirusScan 5.10 – 5.21, and Internet Explorer 6.0. This is NOT an issue in VirusScan 6.0.

IMPORTANT: Affected Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Professional only

McAfee Internet Security 4, VirusScan 6, Firewall 3 and Quick Clean 2 are fully compatible with Windows XP/NT 4.0/95/98/ME/2000. More information will be posted on McAfeehelp.com as the products become more available.

I´m having a problem with VirusScan 4.5.1 and Epo Agents 2.0

When I change some of the directives or tasks in the Epo Server this changes are not made in the clients hosts.
But if I do it with the hosts with Epo Agents 2.0 ad VirusScan 4.5.0, then works fine.

Do someone know if it is a version problem?
or which is the problem here?

Thanks

Marzola

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back