Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Webpage with dynamic content from Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovygarden

Programmer
Aug 23, 2001
I need to create a web page where the content comes from an Excel spreadsheet. When the spreadsheet is updated I need the webpage to reflect these changes automatically.

Using the "Save as webpage" option is not suitable, says my manager...

Any ideas how I can do this?

Any help is, as ever, appreciated!

PS: I also need to do a similar thing with a Word document...

What is your managers objection to "save as webpage", as this may eliminate other solutions also?

My manager doesn't want the people who maintain the spreadsheets to have to do anything different/extra at all.

The "save as a web page" option would mean they would have to save the spreadsheet twice in effect - once as a normal xls and again "as a web page"

(personally I was happy with the Save As Web Page" option - less work for me!)

If this is for the intranet and if you use IE, I believe that you can call the .xls file directly as if it were a page.

If you save the Excel file as a CSV (comma delimitted) file, you can use data binding to display the data. This only works in IE and is a flat-file database so can be limited but if it's straightforward information you need to hold and display (without the calculations etc), then this is one way. The Microsoft MSDN web site has more info - search for data binding and tabular data control (TDC).

Don't know is this is the kind of thing you mean?

Gary P.
smily.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back