Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Webpage Up, Not showing up in Google or other search engines!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mspeppa19

IS-IT--Management
Sep 26, 2002
US
I created a webpage using a mix of photoshop and dreamweaver. For some reason when I type the name of the company it is not even showing up. the website is at What do I need to do so it will start being listed. It doesn't even show up when i type the entire name in! Not sure what is going on. I know you can pay for some submissions, but shouldn't the page show-up on its own. Any tips/ideas. thanks!

take a look at forum828 for SEO

and that site will never get any kind of half decent listing unless you pay for every click and in that market it'll be expensive.

SE Crawlers don't see images, they need text. you have none.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
A website that proves the cobblers kids adage.
Nightclub counting systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Chris is right. While it's OK to use Photoshop to create your site design and even slice it up it's always better to create the site structure in Dreamweaver. That way you can use regular (searchable) HTML text for your content and use background colours for table cells instead of images.

This will not only help with search engine placement but will also reduce your file size, thus aiding those on slow connections. At the moment your code contains a heck of a lot of empty table cells which could be eradicated by planning the table structure within Dreamweaver. The page design would fit into a pretty simple table, no problem.

One other thing - you have no meta tags. It would be beneficial to add the description and keywords. Remember also to add <alt> descriptions to your images.

Ice hockey nostalgia at:

Actually, I just had a go at recreating your page in Dreamweaver, by taking a screenshot, cropping it to include only your webpage, saving it and using it as a tracing image in Dreamweaver (via Modify - Page Properties).

I'm not saying that this is the best code I could come up with (hey, it's 1.50am!) but here's what Dreamweaver has given me (I chose your Services page). Remember, this is only the structure - the non-breaking spaces will be replaced with content and your text/images will force the cells to their correct size:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "<html xmlns="<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Services - Adept Design Group</title>
<!--Include your meta tags here-->
<style type="text/css">
<!--
body {
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
}
-->
</style></head>

<body>
<table width="800" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td colspan="2" valign="top">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="153" rowspan="2" valign="top">&nbsp;</td>
<td colspan="3" valign="top">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td width="315" valign="top">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td colspan="4"></td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

If you want to see how the table structure looks against your page design, I've saved the screenshot at and I'll keep it there for a few days so you can hopefully get to see it. I've put little notes in the cells to show you which will have images in them and which can have pure HTML in the form of text or background colours.

Hope this is of help, but let me know if I can assist further.

Ice hockey nostalgia at:

Julianne, wow that looks awesome, see I had nooo idea how to do something like that, I only know how to graphically design pages and then cut and slice lol. Thank you for your help! I will definitely see if I can recreate what you did on my other pages. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back