Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Webpage dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispr

Technical User
May 24, 2004
CA
I have limited experience with html, though I do have a rough idea what I am doing. I have a webpage that has graphics on the top and bottom to make a border around my content. The entire body of the webpage is in a table with 6 rows and 5 columns, so my webpage looks something like:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 //EN">
<HTML>

<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
</HEAD>

<BODY LEFTMARGIN="0" MARGINWIDTH="0" TOPMARGIN="0" MARGINHEIGHT="0" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000033" link="#000099" vlink="#990099" alink="#990000">
<TABLE CELLPADDING="0" CELLSPACING="0" BORDER="0" width="100%" height="100%">

...........stuff in 6 rows, 5 columns

</TABLE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Everything looks fine in Dreamweaver and the table takes up 100% of the width and height like I want it do. However, when I push F12 to display it in Firefox, there is this annoying white gap between the bottom of the screen and my border, so instead of the border going all the way to the bottom of the screen, it stops and there is a white space, and I can't figure out why its there. I don't think it has anything to do with my monitor size, so I am not sure what it could be. Any help would be appreciated.

forget the hight thing all together....

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

Or Foget using tables all together ... go CSS!

Rob

oh oh...not going down that path are we? css vs. tables :)

table+CSS seems to be happy medium...but this is a whole another discussion.
All the best!

:--------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

[URL unfurl="true"]http://mostarnet.com[/url]

All around in my home town,
They tryin' to track me down...

No no ... We won't go down the whole Tables vs. CSS path .. I mean, it wouldn't be much of a fight would it? [wink] lol

Rob

Yes, it wouldn't be much of a fight indeed. I have since switched to CSS and my life has become that much easier. Thanks for the response.

Good man, once you start working with CSS and learn its ways, its very simple to use, and leaves you with clean and effective markup.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back