Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Webmin questions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffvb9

Technical User
Nov 14, 2002
US
1)Does webmin work with vsftpd? I only see proftp and wu-ftp.

2)What is webmin primarily used for? By installing it will it not let me do other things from the command line?

Sorry for the questions....just trying to learn.

Jeff

1) vsftpd doesn't seem to have all the configuration that wu-ftp and proftp do so That may be one of the reasons it doesn't have that module. But that doesn't mean they don't have it as a 3rd party module at their home site.

2)Webmin can be used for configuring most of your servers. It will also let you admin your entire system, like network, file system and other hardware. If you need to use the command line, it has a module for ssh/telnet and custom commands. Webmin gets installed on your linux box but you can access it from anywhere including the internet.

Which one is easier to use WU-FTP or ProFTP?

Also how can I tell if I have them on my machine now? If I were going to switch do I need to do anything special with vsftpd to turn it off?

WU-FTP is easier, but Pro-FTP is much more configurable. It is similar to Apache, in regrads that you can setup directories to behave differently if you want.

To turn of vsftpd, it most likely uses xinetd. In the /etc/xinetd.d/ dir, look for a file either called ftp or vsftp. Then change "disable = no" to "disable = yes"

Then install either wu or pro. A new xinetd file should be there. Change "disable = yes" to "disable = no"

If you use proftp then configure how you want it.

Next reload the xineted configuration.

"service xinetd reload"

If you install webmin you can use the proftp congiuration module to do everything you need.

webmin allows you to execute shell commands, click on Others, then click on Command Shell. also, you can start an ssh/telnet session by clicking on SSH/Telnet Login .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back