Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WEBMAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biafra70

Technical User
Aug 7, 2003
CA
Some users in my network use webmail to send and receive e-mails. I just realized that they can not receive mails if their outlook is closed. Can any one assist on why this is so and how it can rectified.

Just a bit more info, please. Specifically, what webmail? (Hotmail? OWA?). What do you mean "can not receive mails if their outlook is closed"? You mean emails get rejected by the server unless the user has Outlook open?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

By webmail I mean when they access the mail server using the web browser - Internet explorer. Mail can be sent alright, but will not receive mails unless outlook is open. It is not rejected because it is received but only when you have outlook open, and for those who do not have outlook installed, no mail is received. I hope this makes the situation clearer.

Ok, so, the users are using Outlook Web Access (OWA).

If you have OWA open, you won't see "new" mail unless you hit the button to check your Inbox. It won't automatically show up in OWA like it does in Outlook.

Have a user access OWA, then send themselves an email. After they send it, have them hit the Check for new messages button to see that it is there.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back