Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WEBI 6.5 prompt questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandpp

Programmer
Sep 17, 2003
AU
Hello.

Just completed some training on WEBI 6.5, including Designer & Supervisor.
I have used all versions of Crystal from 7 to 10, but am learning that doesn't do much for me in the BO field.

The trainer wasn't too happy to impart too much knowledge, preferring to offer answers in a Consultative role, with invoice attached.

As such, he eluded that it was possible to have cascading prompts. My question here then is, is it possible? If so, can anyone give me a push in the right direction?

Secondly, is it possible to have a date prompt that defaults to a value?
I ask because, from what I've seen indicates that EVERY prompt HAS to have a value, before the report will run. Now, CHAR prompts can be defaulted to ALL or *, but that trick can't be used for dates.
This is annoying if the prompt is perhaps optional, but needs a value selected regardless.

Thanks,
Peter.

A great of posting here and in other forums (fora?) has dealt with cascading prompts, so a random google search does the trick within seconds.

For date prompts you should be able to work around the restriction by using the 'real' prompt in combination with an OR construction with a greater than construct.

Basically if the second prompt is filled with a very early date then you net all data (well, except for null values).
If you use a high enough date you have the effect of only the single date as a condition..

Ties Blom

Ties,

After posting that, I did a Google search for the cascading prompts, locating the posts you mentioned.

What that pointed out to me though was that I wasn't using the correct terminology.

What I'm trying to do, is hide or show the entire prompt altogether, based on a value chosen in an earlier prompt, rather than change the LOV in the prompt itself.
Not sure if that makes sense.

When I get access to our system, I'll give your idea a try for the date question.

Thanks,
Peter.

No, it's not possible to have dynamic prompts. You can get clever with ANDs and ORs so that values entered in prompts are ignored. But, you can't hide the prompts altogether.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

The only way to hide prompts would be to build an API app that picks up on the prompts avaiable in Crystal and then hide or not hide per some security measures.

Thanks so much!
satinsilhouette

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back