Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Site+ Email Account

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCerberus

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
Good afternoon all,
I am going to design a new website, and i need some advice, ive always used free hosts and free URL names. However I need to buy a .com name now. Also how is it possible to get on ewith an email account? eg. mail@mynewsite.com?

Thanks for advice,

First, buy your domain name. Lots of places out there that let you do this (eg.
Next, find a host that will let you use your own domain name. They will provide you with name server addresses. Go back to where you bought the name from, enter these addresses in the appropriate place, and give it a day or two to kick in.

Most web hosts provide email too, so you'll be able to use your own email addresses from the same account.

as said by blue!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

I own my own domain (dulcimers.com) and just moved it to a new host provider (ipowerweb.com) I found that ipowerweb offer the services which were important to me (sufficient site "space," phone support, liberal email addresses, 30-day guarantee, and a web based console where I can also access webmail). So far I'm satisfied (about three weeks into my contract with them). Their tech support people have been helpful, although I've learned to phone or email any problems to support, rather than posting them to their "website help area".

If you go to the ipowerweb site and read what's provided in "Bonus Package #1" you'll see it includes the cost of registration with either the 12 or 24 month contract. I understand you have to "go with their registry service", and I don't know how good they are about allowing you to take the domain with you if you leave their service.

In my case they said, when I'm ready to "renew" they'll give me a year if I move to their registry service. I am hesitant. Afterall I don't want to lose control of the domain name, but if they'll keep it in my name, it would be a good deal. I would definitely want some assurances that the domain still is totally MINE, if I allowed a host provider to register/renew for me.

Sharon aka dulcimers

There are so many variables to what a given site needs most.

Some need diskspace most, some need bandwidth, some need lots of e-mail accounts.

If you have heavy graphics on your site, 500 visits a day could cost you 5 gig of bandwidth, and the graphics eat up disk space, too....

I'm a little leary of one of the hosts listed above because it just sounds too good to be true, but I could be wrong (I bookmarked it just in case).

I have heard horror stories of hosts that promise the moon and give you cheese instead.

Learning to make dynamic pages using PHP or something similar really helps keep both the diskspace and the bandwidth in check. And it's really not that hard, especially if you use simple "include" statements.

you can easily find hosting for under $10 a month that will give you decent bandwith and storage and email -- this is something you can do yourself as almost all hosts that offer php are the same (they have to be to stay competitive).

Sometimes the Answer You Are LOOKING for can be FOUND BY SEARCHING THE FAQ'S @&%$*#!!!

I had a domain name for my non-profit theatre company. I went through Domainbank.com and it cost me $70 for two years. The nice this is that you own the name and you are allowed to move the name around all you like.

Say you switch from one host to another, you can administer the move yourself from Domain Bank's web site or you can have them do it and all you would need to provide is the web host info ( in both cases. They will provide the masking to hide that host info and all people will see is your domain name.

JCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back