Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web site and POP3 being blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickoedwards

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2007
GB
Hi all,

I have a very strange situation which i don't know what is causing it.

We have a central server and 8 PCs. At random times throughout the day access to our web site and our POP3 account (for the 8 desktop PCs not the server) will be blocked (all other sites are fine). Only the desktop PCs are affected.

When a PING and TRACERT are carried out they cannot be resolved at all.

We are running Sophous anti virus and for some reason AVG antivirus as well.

Any ideas what could be blocking access?

Regards,

Nick

You said, "We are running Sophous anti virus and for some reason AVG antivirus as well". On the same machine?? If yes, that's a no-no to start with! The two systems will invariably "fight" each other and cause anything from minor upto very severe problems.

Depending upon the actual versions of the software, maybe you have a firewall stopping access.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

What are you seeing in the Event Viewers? How long has this been a problem? Can you tie it in with some changes you have made?

Follow Roger's suggestions.

I've uninstalled AVG from all machines so that Sophos Antivirus 6.5.6 is the only version running.

What is also happening is that we cannot access the pop3 account, the web site, nor the web site of the hosting provider so somewhere along the line something is blocking a range of IP addresses?

Does Sophos have the capabilities of that?

- I cannot see anything in Event viewer.

If it is Random, then perhaps that suggests faulty equipment or connections rather than some software?

As the common denominator seems to be at the Server perhaps you should concentrate on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back