Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web services

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantry

MIS
Oct 22, 2001
US
I am trying to work on web services. I have no idea how to get things started. I read some notes from couple of sites...but have to get some real understanding of how it will work for VFP.
I am hoping that someone can explain about web services in VFP

Thanks in advance......

Malavika

Malavika,

Here are a couple articles that might get you started:

There is also a lot of information in the VFP help. I created a simple web service for the first time recently. The VFP part was easy... my biggest hurdle was getting IIS configured on my machine properly since that was new to me.

Good luck,
Andy

Mike
I am trying to create the web service

Andy,
I am having trouble setting up the IIS too...
Can you let me know how I should do it

Malavika,

<<< I am having trouble setting up the IIS too...
<<< Can you let me know how I should do it

You're barking up the wrong tree there. You might try the IIS forum here on Tek-Tips:

forum41

mantry

I am having trouble setting up the IIS too...

Are you creating your webservice in .NET or VFP?

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

I'm in the same boat right now. I'm leaning towards doing my web service in .NET, mainly because I'm sick of dealing with COM objects and all the crap that goes along with that. Also, this web service should be a relatively simple one consisting of a business object with some validation (some being dynamic/data drive) and a web method to call the addnew of the business object and return success or fail messages. Sounds simple, right? Problem is, I have no clue where to begin and I need something pretty quick. I'm speed reading .NET for VFP Developers chapters on ADO and Web Services. Just got the book yesterday. Looks pretty good.

MANTRY

My understanding (from a web developer in our office who used .net) there is nothing to it. You develop the application as a web service (File-New-Webservice) and .net takes care of the rest. In other words you can develop it locally, and then move it to your web server, no registration required. But in order to consume the web service in VFP, you need to go to the Intellinsense manager (Tools-Intellisense Manager->Type->Webservices) and register the web service with VFP.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back