Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web server? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

suffocate83

Technical User
Sep 21, 2002
US
how do i make my webpage on winsk server available to people outside of my network??

i type in my IP address on my computers on the network, and it loads the page, but outside the network, it doesn't.

i'm not using my internal ip for my server (192.168.1.102) using the IP provided (24.247.244.165)

any help, or even a link to a guide would help.

Do you have any routers, the IP is static on the server? A little more info about your network please... Thanks,

Matt Wray

i have a linksys BEFSR41 router over a cable internet connection. i'm basically using this as an opportunity to learn about win2k server in my own home and trying to figure things out as i go along with my college class. my router has a physical firewall, and i have forwarded port 80 to the internal IP address of the server (192.168.1.101). the external (WAN) ip address is 24.247.244.165

if this ip address works, than something must have worked right.

First step is make sure you can ping that address from outside.

I am having the same problem. I can not ping my server from the outside. I have the same router. I have the ports set correctly. I have also set up the server as a dmz host(which opens and routs all ports to the server) and still no ping or web site. I do have VPN, FTP, SMTP, ETC... all working.

i haven't tried ftp, smtp or any of that as of yet, i just want to get the web server up. haven't tried pinging it from an outside source, but i will from the colelge when i go tonight.

I just found out that mt ISP blocks port 80. Check with your ISP. or change the port #

pinging the IP doesn't work. the request timed out. i would assume that means that it isn't getting past my router, yet i have the ports forwarded correctly, and have also set the dmz to point to 192.168.1.101 which is the server. i said 102 in the 1st post, but that is not the server. 24.247.244.165 is still the WAN IP address.

i have also heard of this but have yet to try it. i know that my ISP blocks port 21 as well. how will changing the port number affect my page loading? will i have to use if i use port 8100? or will it still direct it to the correct page?

Most ISP's do not allow their users to host their own webpage or run their own web server and block the ports needed to do so. The first thing I always do is ask if I can run my own web server if the answer is no I find another ISP. My ISP here in Arizona is called FastQ ( they offer DSL and dialup maybe other as well, but they will allow one to run their own server. I do not know the entire service are they cover, but with some looking you could most likly find another ISP that will allow you to run your own server... but you might have to dump the cable modem and go with DSL.. In any case good luck! "The beauty of the second amendment is, that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

WebMaster:

i don't have many options when it comes to broadband ISP's where i live. by the sounds of it, i might just be outta luck.

Have you disabled the "Block WAN Request" in the Linksys configuration? Whether port 80 is blocked or not, you should be able to ping. The Linksys BEFSR41 has incoming connections from the Intenet blocked by default... Thanks,

Matt Wray

might sounds silly, but is your default gateway and dns settings correct on your server? if you can't ping it from the outside it's possible that the reply packets don't know how to get back to you.

I have been all through my linksys router, and I see nothing about block wan request. what screen is it under

On the Advanced page, Filters tab at the bottom... Thanks,

Matt Wray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back