Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web server

Status
Not open for further replies.

hu68

Technical User
Feb 19, 2002
CA
Hi,there
I'm interested in Asp.net. I'm trying to learn it and rewrite all my ASP page to Asp.net.but I'm not sure what kind of web server is required for asp.net? IIS4 or IIS5?
Thanks in advance.

from msdn:

Internet Information Services (IIS) - To access the features of ASP.NET, IIS with the latest security updates must be installed prior to installing the .NET Framework.

and it'll run on:

Microsoft Windows® 98
Microsoft Windows NT® 4.0 (SP 6a required)
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Windows Me)
Microsoft Windows 2000 (SP2 Recommended)
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

:)
paul
penny1.gif
penny1.gif

Hey guys,

Paul, can you post that link? If Microsoft is saying that IIS will work on ALL those OS's, there's something wrong.

The only operating systems that IIS will run on is Winnt, win2k, and winXPPro.

Windows 98 uses Personal Web Server (scaled down version of IIS...its crap though). It can't run IIS though.

Windows ME and WindowsXPHome has no support for web servers at all (thats why I didn't buy ME, and I have xpHome. Should have gotten Pro instead).

Here's a link that talks about software requirements. You'll notice in the table row for "ASP.NET applications" that "not supported" is listed under 98/me.

The .NET framework will run on all of those OS's, but IIS won't.

hu68: to your question about whether you need IIS4 or IIS5 for asp.net, IIS5.0 is a for sure bet (thats what we use). IIS6 is out too I think, but IIS5.0 will definately work. IIS4.0 MIGHT work, but I recall reading that people had some issues trying to run .NET apps off of it. 5.0 would be my choice.

Jack

No, I don't think PWS can. In the link I included, they specifically say that asp and xml web applications/services are not supported in 98/me. Since IIS can't be installed on either of those, I'd take that to mean that PWS is out of the question for asp.net development.

Windows apps are another story, hence why the framework and desktop apps can still be developed on 98/me, but web stuff is pretty much isolated to 2k/nt/xp.

Besides, if you can have IIS, why bother with PWS?
;)

Jack

Hey jack & Paul
Thanks for your clear explaination.

good point on the windows app distinction. I'm sure that's what it was talking about.

Jack, I remembered reading on some hacks to get IIS up and running on XPHome, and I just went out, dug around, and would like to point you in this direction:

But be warned, that the method described there is not going have any support, etc... etc... since IIS isn't officially supported on XPHome.

Here's a little disclaimer that I found at:

--------------------------
Alert reader Peter B. pointed out that, according to this Newsgroup posting you can install IIS on Windows XP Home, assuming you can get your hands on the iis.dl_ and iis.in_ files. (The newsgroup poster just grabbed them off of Windows 2000 Advanced Server.) Using this technique is pretty low-level, and is ntested and you should use it at your own risk. Thanks for the heads up, Peter!
--------------------------

Note that "this Newsgroup posting" was a link in the article, which I provided straight out for you above. Hope you get it working.

:)
paul
penny1.gif
penny1.gif

Thanks Paul,

Yeah, I've seen those articles before. I've erred on the cautious side and decided to not try and put IIS on my xpHE box at home (heh, for the not-supported reason and that mucking around with dll's and stuff when they aren't supposed to be mucked with is just a bad idea ;) )

It's really too bad. It kinda relegates WinXPHE to teh next step up from WindowsME.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back