Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web server to shift between 2 NICs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwapSawe

Programmer
Apr 24, 2001
US
Hi !!!

A situation which has stumped me.

Scenario -

The web-server running with two NICs hence, two IP-address. Now the Webserver is listening on one IP.

Requirement -

The Web server should be intelligent enough to shift to another IP, in case the first NIC fails.

I do not know if this is correct form to present my case, but eitherways, I am sure the professionals around here might have been through this scenario at times in their times.

Any directions are welcome.

Thanks in advance,
SwapSawe.

Cheer Up, The worst is yet to Come.

ASFAIK, Java cannot manipulate OS & hardware level stuff like switching between IPs. You listen on whatever the default ethernet is, ie whatever 127.0.0.1 resolves to.

If you need failover like that, I would have two or more clustered machines rather than two IP addresses !

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Thanks sedj, even if its not a solution, but atleast you informed me that I am looking in wrong direction for the solution.

I guess I should think about some thing like Load balancing techniques... however since I am looking for least expensive soln. I would be looking for a software for load-balancing hence. Thanks again.

Hello, I just now found that you can make webserver to listen on more than one IP Address in case you have multiple NIC, I don't know if I am understanding it correctly this link tells me that probably I have found a solution, ie. in case one NIC is down the other NIC would still be available to cater the clients. Am I thinking right?

Well thats the Apache HTTP server which is written in C, and is completely different to Tomcat which is written in Java.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Database Connection Pooling Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back