Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Server on W2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsiddle

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2003
GB
I have a w2k server running TS on a DSL internet connection.
Whenever I instal and enable the IIS server service, within about 2 mins the CPU usage on the inetinfo.exe file takes the CPU to 98% and effectivly locks all sytems out.
No one can log in from the internet and the local users almost stop.

I have had the same result on another W2k server so it is obviously me doing something wrong.

The DSL connection is via a telecom supplied router/gateway no firewall is installed.

We use static IP addresses on th DSL by the way.

Please help
John Siddle

Have you thought of Linux for your webserver? I tried to get IIS to run once and it also gave me hell. I switched to Linux and had it set up within a day. And I had never used Linux before that. Not to mention it is more secure than Windows.....
[noevil]

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

I would love to use linux for the whole server system but every time I make an effort to learn it I load it up then just sit there looking at it thinking... 'What do I do now'?

I am afraid I just do not undeerstand it.
John

i have setup several win2k iis server and haven't seen what you are talking about yet. i'm not familiar with the TS you mention above; what is it?

what steps did you go through to setup the iis?
does it still eat up the cpu if you unplug the network cable?
is the win2k server setup as a domain server or anything?

if you have any specific questions i'll be glad to help with the setup.

Hi Twospoons & Mattwray
Thanks Matt I will look that book up and see if it helps.

Twospoons, the Server is a w2k Advanced Server it was set up as an application server.
IIs was installed from the CD just by selecting it in the Add new Progs(Windows Components).

Disconnection of the DSL network connector releases the heavy network traffic but the CPU still stays up at 98% approx.
The only way to kill the activity is to stop the inetinfo.exe process from running.
How ever if the machine is run without the internet connected then the problem does not arise

TS is Terminal Server Client. Basically this server has all the applications needed for users and they log in as TS sessions. Some login locally others login over the internet.
We have Static IP addresses. I thought maybe once the IP is found we are getting hammered from outside.
We dont use a VPN but the Terminal Server has the 128 encryption set. We have a software firewall (Tiny Firewall)

I set up a second system using the W2k Backoffice Server CD and that gave the same problem

I dont get this problem on a w2kPro workstation set up with inetinfo active but this is running on an ISDN line with a Dynamic address so is not on line all the time. I dont use it as a web server anyway just set it up for test purposes.

I hope all this has not confused you too much.
Regards John

If you want to run a web server, and you're not comfortable with Linux, you can go to and download a version of Apache for Windows. It is very easy to set up under Windows, and works much better than IIS. Just a thought.

Thanks Guys
I am downloading what I think is the apache http server as I type.
IIS is on Backoffice not sure about ISA though.
JS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back