Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web server newbie.... need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PammyBoy

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
Hi All,

A friend runs a website and wants me to build him his own server so he can host it himself. The site contains 280 pages of content (flash, pictures, message boards, etc.), no e-commerce, just content and the site gets about 20,000 hits per day. I told him that a T1 line plus a custom built web server would do it. Now the only problem is, would a T1 be enough and what kind of server would I need to build to handle that big of a site and the number of hits its going to be taking in? Please help!

-Tom

20,000 hits per day, as per my friend.

Hi mate,

The amount of hits can not be calculated into a required amount of bandwidth, there are several factors that need to be taken into account.

Are 19,000 of these people going to be accessing the site at once? What size of data transfer does he have for each page etc etc.

A website that has 20,000 users hitting it per day and is only serving a 1k page is going to require less bandwidth allowance than the same server tranferring 200k pages at the same rate.

Hope this helps Wullie

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change.
The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back