Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Server Load Balancer for HPUX

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikramkalsi

Programmer
Aug 25, 2001
US
We require a Web Server Load Balancing software for our development environment to simulate our Production environment which is using a HP SA7200 hardware based SLB. The development environment has two nodes running Apache 1.3.12. We are using Jserv and modplsql modules.

The minimum features that we are looking for -
1.) Open Source / Free / Shareware
2.) OS Preference - HPUX, Linux, Windows
3.) Sticky Mode i.e. a particular client's request should always be re-directed to 1 web-server within the sticky mode timeout value.
4.) It need not be content aware, even a NAT based one would do.
5.) Other desirable though not absolutely necessary features are - balancing algorithm based on either round-robin or server response time, load balancing between more than 2 web servers, automatic failover of requests to other servers in case a server goes down, etc.

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in Anticipation,
-Vikram Kalsi

-Vikram Kalsi
----------------------------------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." - Rich Cook

hi, wouldn't you want your test instance to mirror your PROD instance? one suggestion I have is to configure your HP SA7200 to direct traffic on a certain port that you choose for test to load balance between the test servers. for example, we are running Cisco Local Directors and have configured PROD to go to port 8000 and test to go to port 8010.

to keep stuff cheep use DNS...
nslookup host
main server: <someip>
host: ip1, ip2, ip3

then when another query happens the ip# changes...

round robin ( I think I spelled that right)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back