Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web server as file server, FoxPro 2.6 Win

Status
Not open for further replies.

operaguy

Programmer
Aug 19, 2002
US
Is there a simple way to share a folder on a Red Hat Linux dedicated file server such that remote users can find it over the internet and map it on their Windows XP machines, and thus enable a pure old-fashioned file server setup. I have a great FoxPro Windows 2.6 application I will install on each client. No server-side Fox execution, only data on the server.

Or perhaps with the files simply sitting on the server, is there a way to hard-code the data path to that server directory at the top of my .prg?

I have been told about Samba and Virtual Private Networks, but wonder if there is something simpler.

[I read the FAQs and attempted to search this forum, without luck, before posting.]

Thank you,
John Donohue

I beleve as long as the URL matches the old DOS 8.3 specs, it should work. Unfortunately, FPW doesn't recognize long file names or handle case-sensivity.

Rick

I know of Samba implementations of this... in fact, we are going to try this during the following weeks.

I have a doubt: some of our FoxPro Programs use Novell's Transactional Tracking System (TTS) and I don't know if is there a way to implement this on Linux or this would generate errors.

Byron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back