Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web reports outside firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGSmoove

Programmer
Jan 22, 2003
US
Hi. How about accessing the web reports from outside a firewall with the latest Impromptu v7? Any luck with that? I currently have the report server inside (ip=192.x.x.x), and a web server outside (ip=167.x.x.x). the web server simply redirects its default page to the url of the report server INSIDE the firewall...

the only port i have open is 80, for http....are there other ports, (or tricks) that i should open that would keep my users from hitting the report server properly?

thanks in advance!

I haven't done an IWR w/ Firewall installation for awhile, however I know that it works. What are your symptoms?

my redirection from my web server to my internal cognos-report server doesnt appear to be working from users outside the firewall... it works just fine inside the firewall...

on my web box, i've got IIS to 'redirect to a url' of the cognos box...are there any ports other than port 80 that should be open?

Assuming (from your description) that:

1) web server outside (ip=167.x.x.x): refers to only a webserver that does not have any Cognos-related products, and
2) report server inside (ip=192.x.x.x): refers to where you installed the IWR & Upfront dispatcher, datastore, and gateways, and
3) the firewall is between machines 1) and 2), then

you have to open open ports for the following components: (default ports in parenthesis)
(389) Directory Server
(9010) Ticket Server
(8030) Upfront Dispatcher
(8031) Upfront Server Administration

These answers depend on my assumptions. Please let me know if they are correct.

gasman009...yes...that is correct...inbetween the 2 boxes is a checkpoint firewall system... port 80 is open...

i havent opened up these ports yet, mainly because my firewall guy cant let the web server to simply redirect to the internal box. any suggestions on that?

Hmmm. I'm out of my area of expertise when it comes to firewalls, however, wouldn't external users still not be able to see anything on the internal report server - because the ip-adress is internal? Even if it is forwarded, I don't think ppl external to the intranet can see it, because they can't resolve the address. Try putting a simple html page in the default directory and see if external users can see it. If they can't, it probably b/c of internal address. Ask your firewall admin to confirm.

If you want to make your report server externally viewable, you'll need to put it into a demilitarize zone. Check Appendix C of the Planning Advanced Installations Guide. It's pretty good and can be found in the Documentation CD.

BTW, ignore that comment that:
"you have to open open ports for the following components: (default ports in parenthesis)
(389) Directory Server
(9010) Ticket Server
(8030) Upfront Dispatcher
(8031) Upfront Server Administration"

-this would be if there is a firewall between the gateway and the dispatcher for upfront and iwr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back