Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web reporting problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktucci

Programmer
Apr 23, 2001
US
I get an error

'there are no page servers connected to the cache server or all connected page servers are disabled. please try to reconnect later. [on page server: li-iis-02.cacheserver]'

if i restart the services associated with crystal it does not help...if i restart the server it will work for a short period of time and then goes back to having the error.

i am running crystal entprise 8 that came with crystal reports 8.5...i am running this on a win 2000 server w/ iis running...additionally i did not add the reports to crystal entprise...i orginally did but i did not see any benefit to adding them...i just call the exact path to the url....for that matter is there a better way to setup crystal enterprise to view reports via the web...also occassioanlly when it does work i will get prompted for a crystal login upon trying to view a report

any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks...

keith

Update for those who are wrestling with the APS logon:

After running my dev server for a couple of weeks, I applied the recommended patches to the production server.

I still receive the logon prompt, but now I think I know why.

In the APS control panel, there is a setting for session timeouts which, as anyone who has messed with it knows, is useless. The server ignores this setting.

If you go to the console, however, and follow these instructions, you should solve the APS logon problem (due to held sessions, anyway):

<SNIP_FROM_CRYSTAL_SUPPORT>

Read the readme.txt file which comes with the ce80wcs.zip patch. Apply the
&quot;-defaultSessionTimeout ##&quot; parameter and set it to 1 minute for your
pageserver in the CCM (Crystal Configuration Manager in Start/Programs/Crystal Enterprise - ph). This may help release your connection sooner.

Remember you only have 5 concurrent user licenses by default, unless you
purchase more. Without this new parameter, your IIS would be managine the
Session cleanup.
</SNIP_FROM_CRYSTAL_SUPPORT>

And make sure you have the services STOPPED before you try to do this, or it won't let you edit the parameter.

HTH,
PH

Hi guys,

I'm not sure I clearly go through all the topics or not. but for the occasionally aps logon popup. I got same error before. The reason is in asp querystring, charactor '*', '/' are not allowed in your own parameters, which will be treat as build-in command sign. You need to apply the latest hot fix ce85aps.zip, inside which this issue has been addressed and tested working well.

Cheers !

Ted

Sorry, one more point.

CE APS logontoken will generate '*', '/' inside randomly. That's why it happens occasionally.

Ted

Tedliu,

I use unmanaged reports, called straight from the URL, so this is a non-issue with me.

Philhege,

If you use unmanaged report, you don't need to use crystal enterprise at all. you just create a asp page to open the reports and view it, that's it. I have lots of unmanaged report running in the report server, those reports are only called from asp page, nothing related with crystal enterprise and aps logon.

Maybe you can send your issue with detail files to me. I may check it out for you.

Ted

ted_liu@canadalife.com

Hello to all who marked this thread.

It's been an adventure, but my particular APS logon problem has been resolved (I hope).

The reason that I was receiving the APS prompt was that I was POSTing the parameters to the report with a form submit. This method results in the APS's being involved in the report generation. Calling the report in the URL (a simple GET) with the parameters in the querystring, I haven't received the logon prompt yet.

Caveat: you must apply the patches listed in my previous post, because some supposedly deal with querystring length problems.

Thanks to Ted Liu for shedding light on this issue.

PH

If you don't need the APS at all when running unmanaged reports, how come I get prompted for Authentication Type, UserName, and Password when I try to run an unmanaged report?

I have CE8 installed, and I am accessing my report like this:

and I get the Crystal Report Viewing Log On screen. Where it says something like this:

The Web Component Server could not log you on to the APS. Please re-enter your user name and password. [On Page Server: <my machine name>]

Please let me know how to get rid of this because it is annoying and an ugly screen for my end users to deal with.

Thanks,

Jacob438

To Jacob438:

You need to add a login to the APS. We use the guest account w/ no password set in CE. Try adding the following to your URL:

&apsuser=guest&apspassword=&apsauthtype=secEnterprise

Hope this helps,
-Oliver

cool thanks, that did it, I wish there was a way to bypass the extra parameters in the URL just so it doesn't look so cluttered, but hey, beggers can't be choosers :)

Jacob438

We're just about to go down the same road as all of you, so it was good to find this thread first.

However, I can't get to the ftp hotfixes mentioned in response from Crystal to philhege - Access denied to Outgoing folder. Do I need to get Crystal to give me access or are they available somewhere else?

Thanks
Pete

I couldn't access them from there also. I'm hoping that they are available from somewhere else where I can see which issues are fixed in each hotfix. Hopefully somebody knows, but I also had problems, just wanted to let you know,

Jacob438

This thread has been really useful because I have the 5 licence / APS log on problem (and a number of furious clients...), but I want to check something.

Can I add the APS *administrator* log on to my report URL, so that the end users don't see it, even when all the user licences are in use? I see a reply from ohernan explaining that you can add an APS logon that points to the guest account, but what I want to do is to log on to the administrator account. If that is possible then how do I do it?

Many TIA for your help.

Kevin Danks

you could try using something like this in the query string of the url:

?apsuser=Administrator&apspassword=pass&apsauthtype=secEnterprise

using the fields apsuser, apspassword, and apsauthtype as you like.

Jacob438

right time - right place. I'm at a crossroads here with
crystal report web access.

Started in ver 7 and used unmanaged reports via html
links to reports. The frustration is the inclusion of
username and password on the url, fine for the intranet but
still getting me in hot water with my network administrator.
this can be a later thread.

Went to version 8.5 with the free enterprise 8.0 which
started restricting access to 5 report accesses which
nullified my use of many reports due to > 5 subreports which
were considered licenses.

Also ran into the issue of getting the wcs to work with unmanaged reports.

At this point, I have been able to get the wcs to work with
unmanaged reports on 2 web servers but have no idea how I finally got to that point. Now I am trying to get it to
work on a development server but whenever I click on my
report link with database access username and pw, I get the
aps login screen from hell.

How do I install/configure enterprise to ignore the aps?

HELP!! Urgent, I always get a database login prompt even after I login already, I'm sure that the username and password are correct as I was able to connect to the test connect and Crystal reports developer to the database successfully, Now when I view using crystal web request I get a database login prompt window which would'nt accept my login... any help would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back