Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Publishing FMP Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcvan

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2002
CA
FMP Rookie here, I'd like to allow my companies distributors to build an online quotation extracting fields from our products.fp5 file. What do I need to turn on as far as my FMP 5.5 Server - what if any and how do I open specific port requierments on my Win 2000 Advanced Server?
Any help is appreciated.

When you say FM Server, do you mean you have a real FM Server 5.5, or that you are hosting files on a FMP 5.5?
Also, what are you going to write your web interface with? Are you going to try Instant Web Publishing, XML, CDML, etc.?

Each one of these changes the potential requirements.

Being a rookie, it's best for me to describe what we have here (I came into this environment, as opposed to developed it)
We have a typical manufacturing business with seperate Filemaker modules for quotes, customers, products, invoicing, vendors, etc. These files are on a Win 200 Adv Server box that is running FM Server 5.5, nothing fancy I take it.
I want to specifically allow customers to build their own quote online, simply drawing out of the product database to include part#, description, selling price and weight.
I hope that is enough info for you to suggest a recommendation, any help is certainly appreciated.

"....online .... "
-use CDML + JavaScript for easy development****
-use LASSO for more security than CDML*****
-use PHP as an alternative (need PHP experience)****
-use ASP*** not very good with FM ODBC
-use InstantWebPublishing** (quick and dirty + backedup with a prayer)
-use "Remote-File-Connections" assuming that user has FileMalker installed ( speed IS NOT THE VIRTURE....or existant)*

browse : for some more info
_same username_

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back