Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Part Templates for VS.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

disord3r

Programmer
Apr 12, 2002
US
I've installed the Web Part Templates (it came from msdn2.ms.com) so that I can begin creating web parts for my Sharepoint server. For some reason, though, when I fire up 2005, Click File > New > Project, there are no references to web parts anywhere under the listing of Visual Studio installed templates or under My Templates.

Any ideas?

I just noticed that they are available in VS.Net 2003, but no 2005. Is there a Template set specific to 2005 that I need to download? I've had no luck searching on Microsoft's web sites.

Thanks in advance!

Anyone? Do they not work with VS.Net 2005? I'm trying to write web parts for Sharepoint 2007, which I was led to believe is .Net 2.0 at its core, so I don't know why there would be no templates for 2005.

It looks like this is what I need, but one of the system requirements appears to be Windows Server 2003.

Is that for real? Does that mean that it's impossible to develop web parts in .Net 2.0 from VS.Net 2005 for SharePoint 2007 without having Windows Server 2003?

The Sharepoint bits have to to work on the server, so in a way they're correct. I've heard of workarounds for this in SPS2003 but I can't find a ready reference.

Thinks for the info. About 20 minutes ago, I found this:

The second post has a LOT of good info. I'm still digesting it and poking around with it inbetween other tasks I'm working on. I'll post a follow-up if I get it working, but the second posted does make it sound like it's possible to get by in VS2005 on XP.

As he points out, sharepoint model code isn't going to work without a local installation, but that might be something I have to deal with until we can square away some licensing problems. In the meantime, if I figure it out, I can at least fool around with it locally since I have Microsoft.Sharepoint.Dll and Microsoft.Sharepoint.Portal.Dll copied locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back