Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web page won't display on linux server, but okay on Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

imryn

Programmer
Dec 2, 2002
US
Hello Folks,

Okay, here is my situation. I have a Windows machine that runs Apache on it. I am using ports 8082 and 8081 to run web pages on it. And this work just fine.

Now I have another PC running Linux on it and I am running Apache on it as well. This listens to port 80. I can not view any web pages from it externally.

I have a syslink router that has one IP address on it. Then I tell it under Applications to to point to to which ever server. I have Firestarter running on my linux server. I have told it to allow everyone on http port 80 inbound. I made sure I turned off my Iptable also. I have even gone to the point to turn off the firewall and still no luck with anyone getting to it.

I have even go to to setup a domain name to point to this linux server, and still no one can get to it.

What is going on? What can I do to resolve this issue? I am suppost to give a presentation on this website on this coming Friday, and fear I won't be able too. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
imryn

If you're sure that apache is running, on the linux machine itself, open a browser and try: If that works, on the same machine try If that works move the the Windows machine and try
If it fails at the at the linux machine, then the problem lies with apache.
If it fails at the windows machine, then the problem lies with a firewall on the linux machine or it's connection to the network.
If all the above is ok, but fails from outside the network, its a problem with the router configuration.

smah,

Thanks for the input. The results are as followed:
I checked the linux box and tried it worked.
I checked the lan ip and it to worked.
I checked the ip and it to worked.
Windows box.
I checked the Windows box and tried it worked.
I checked the lan ip:8082 and it to worked.
I checked the ip:8082 and it to worked.

So now what should I be looking for or what should I think about doing next. I have logged into the router and checked all the settings for both boxes. As I stated before, people can reach my Windows Apache server just fine. Just not my Linux Apache server.

I had UPnP Forwarding set up to forward to my linux box on port 80. So I took that off, since I don't have the same thing setup for port 8082. So now there are both the same as far as they are both using Port Range Forwarding. I will have to wait and have someone else test this for me, since I can't touch it from work. It seems I can't view it there due to the Firewall at work. even though I have DynDNS set up too. I hate corporate America... lol ...

I noticed that this article is updating the number of post sometimes. So now I am testing it.

If outside ip of router correctly forwards to linux at inside lan ip, then router and linux firewall are ok. If you access from outside via the external IP of the router does it work?

If so then it looks like dyndns is not forwarding correctly, perhaps to the wrong port.

Jeb

I'm going with: ISP blocking port 80. imryn also started thread54-1239062

smah,

I wanted to let you know your right. It seems the Adelphia blocks port 80. So when I changed the port number it did work. :) Thanks for your input and help. The strange thing was it took a few tries to find a port # that Apache would like. When I would restart it keep failing.... it was odd.

Cheers,
imryn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back