Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web page saving problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimonMarkDawson

Programmer
Oct 17, 2001
GB
Hi

I'm using IE 6 and having problems saving PERL generated web pages using Save As, Web Page Complete etc.

The problem is that rather than saving what's on screen, Explorer seems to be asking for a fresh copy of the page from the server. Because this request doesn't have any of the accumulated session variables, the PERL script treats the request as the start of a new session and generates my initial "welcome" screen - which is what gets saved. Consequently the saved file contains a completely different page to the one required (The original page remains displayed throughout the save process, the screen itself is not updated)

For info, all the site's web pages are dynamically generated from a single PERL script, the page being produced depends on the state of the current session variables. All pages display (and work) fine, just won't save.

Internet Explorer 6 also has the standard (default) settings and latest updates.

Firefox works fine but I need to cater for those who rely on Explorer so need to find a solution to this.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is it confined to IE 6?

Thanks

Simon

Do you really want to encourage your user base to save a complete copy of pages of your site? Seems an odd thing to want to encourage.

The problem may be the use of cache controlling meta tags in your markup. If you are telling the browser not to cache the contents, then it has no choice but to re-request the page.

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page @ Code Couch
[/tt]

What is Javascript? FAQ216-6094

Hi Jeff

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the sites themselves are confidential (Hence I can't post any of the actual pages here) and only visible to a select group linked to the site's owners anyway. They also contain nothing special in terms of my coding so I'm quite happy for them to save pages if that's their desire.

It is an interesting problem though so I've uploaded a quick test script to show what happens at

If anybody reading can please try out the script and report back here on what happens together with their browser type (and version) / Windows type (and version) at least we can find out how extensive the problem is.

Or maybe the problem is simply something I've overlooked - All feedback welcome as I'm definitely more frustrated than proud!

Thanks again for the reply.

Simon

Windows XP Professional, Internet Explorer 6.0

An alert is shown asserting the page may be saved incorrectly, but it works ok.

Cheers,
Dian

Dian

And just to confirm:

1 You've managed to save page 2? (All I get is page 1)
2 You've used Web Page, Complete (I need this because I need to ensure pictures are saved too so can't use Web Page, HTML only [Which does work ok])

Thanks for your help

Simon

Sorry, I misunderstood you. I've used "HTML only". With the complete option, I get page 1.

Cheers,
Dian

Thanks. Annoying because I need the complete option to include images.

Simon

If, after you have submitted your form, you redirect to another page, that would probably get around the whole from submission / reposting data issue.

Hope this helps,
Dan

[tt]Dan's Page [blue]@[/blue] Code Couch
[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back