Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Jetadmin Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2004
US
Hi All,

Without using Web Jetadmin does anyone know any tools, utilities, etc that would allow me to do the following:

List all printers on my print server by model
List all printers on my printer server by floor
List all printers on a print servers page counts

I have almost 400 printers on my network and for some reason I just can't get Web Jetadmin to work correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What is your print server? Win32, OSX, linux, AIX, Solaris, Netware?

Yeah, somewhere on your print server you should be able to pull up a list of printers. Sorting those lists generally depends on naming conventions, i.e. if your printers have names like "HP4050-Admin-8thFloor", "Auditing-HP8100-East",
etc. No server has any clue as to physical location.

your OS will have tools of some kind...

Sorry I'm using Win32 (Windows Server 2003) Print Server.

I do know how to pull up a list all the printers from the print server but I would like group them by floor and model number. Maybe this is something that can be done with scripts or a third party tool. Is there anything else out there for managing printers than HP Web Jetadmin?

You might find some tools for finding printers by model, but identifying physical location is not possible without some sort of reference label. You could theoretically track which network switches the data to the printer goes through, but that would only tell you which switch the printer is hooked up to, not where the printer is.

Personally, I manually keep a spreadsheet that relates the printer name to the model, driver, switch it's hooked to, wiring punchdown position, and office location.

as objects in AD will solve first and second queries if you set the groups correctly

Laters, phat, headshape

for my experiences, there's no other tools there better than HP webjetadmin, yes, hp webjetadmin sometimes doesn't work properly, what I have done is to upgrade Java Runtime to the latest, and change the internet security setting for your printer server, add it to trust site group. It's resolved most problems, but I still need to logout and relogin so that it can work properly. we only have 8 printers to manage, so dont know if helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back