Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Interface on Superstack II 3300 stops working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crownit

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
CA

Hi people,
I am setting up management on my Superstack II 3300. I set up the IP on 3 Matrixed SS in my main server room and was able to log on to the Web Interface. For no apparent reason the Web Interface stopped working. I get the standard "The page can not be displayed" IE message. This is the second time this has happened. The first time I did a reset of the switches and it was working for a while today and then suddenly stopped working again. Resetting my main switches every time this happens is not an option. So if anyone knows of a way around this I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.
Dwayne

Hello Dwayne

Which firmware version do you use on your Superstack switches?
When this problem occured, were you able to log into the switch via telnet or does the managemet completely hang on?
And did the switch process it's main taks (switching, VLAN, resilent links, trunks, SNMP)?

I had the same problem with firmware versions under 2.40.

On this matrix stack (3) I have 2 with:
Hardare 2
Software 2.20

and another with

Hardare 2
Software 2.01

These guys have never been updated. What I am trying to do right now is update the firmware and the software on these switches and I am having nothing but problems doing so. I have used TFTP and the SUU to no avail on either front. It says that the download has started and then hangs there. Maybe I am not waiting long enough?

I haven't used telnet yet but I do connect to them through HyperTerminal, which has never failed. I've tried to update it through HyperTerminal and the Web Interface (when it's worked).

So I guess now I need some help on how to upgrade the firmware an software.

I've checked out the 3Com Knowledgebase and have followed the instructions for upgrading the software. I have both the switch and the system running TFTP on the same IP scheme.

So anyone who has done this before I could use your expertise here.

Thanks
Dwayne

Hello Dwayne

Oh, now I know why your switch doesn't work like you want.
The main problem is that you have different firmware versions in your stack.
That always causes a lot of problems.
Apart from the very old firmware on your switch.

How to update your switch stack:
First you have to download the newest software for your switch.
ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/superstack_3/switch_1100/s2s02_71.exe
After the installation of the exe-file you get three files.
You only need the bin-file (s2s02_71.bin)

Then you need a TFTP server to upload the bin-file to your switch.
ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/utilbin/win32/3ts01_04.exe
Install the TFTP server and start it.
There you have to specify the directory of your bin-file.

Now you are ready to upgrade your switch stack.
There you have the sepecify the name of the upgrade-file (s2s02_71.bin)
and the IP-adress of the TFTP server.
If you have entered this informations you can start with the upgrade.
The upgrade should least about 5 minutes
because only one switch will be upgraded at the same time.
Don't interrupt the upgrade process otherwise you'll have a damaged switch!!

That was it
Sheffield

Ok,
I have followed everything as per Dave's response but I am having problems still with upgrading the software on a switch. It seems like the TFTP isn't working. I go to the web management tool and put in the info for the name of the file and the IP of the system running TFTP and I get the message that it's downloading the file but the TFTP system never shows a transfer in progress and nothing happens. Is there something I am missing?

-Dwayne

Do you have the switches configured with the proper IP/gateway? Also do you have a personal firewall on the box that has TFTP running?

The IP for the device is 172.18.3.110 and a gateway of 172.18.1.1. The system with TFTP has an IP of 172.18.3.4. There is no firewall on the system running the tftp server.

Do you have a pop-up blocker on your browser? Also, have you tried consoling or telnetting into the switch and upgrading from there?

I do have the google pop-up blocker on my system by chance. I have tried updating the switch 3 ways. Through the web interface, through the serial port and though the 3Com network supervisor. Nothing has worked. I assume you are suggesting I turn off the pop-up blocker. I'll give that a try and let you know. Thanks.

Still the same thing. I think that the problem is TFTP because it's always at the download stage where the process halts and I never see the session start in the TFTP log.

I found out what the problem was. I'd changed the name of the .bin file to something easier to type and it didn't like that. Once I changed the name back to it's original name "s2s02_71.bin" then the session started in TFTP and the upload and update occured.
-Dwayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back