Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

othanku

ISP
Nov 21, 2001
US
New to this.....starting my own web hosting company and am running windows 2000 server. I am connected via cable to the internet. Do i need special software to host websites, or can i just create thier websites of of my own address in a subnet mask? Have 5 sites built that are being hosted by others and want to host them myself...any help or comments would be greatly appreciated

You will need a little more than you have stated to host web sites. You will need to configure IIS or Apache to host your sites. You will also need a register IP address, a registered name for your IP address, or find the name registered to your IP address. I assume that you have only one IP address that is public, so I would also say that you will need to learn how to use Host headers to link more than one web site to one IP address.

I appreciate the input and i know i have a lot to learn. I found some previous topics in the forums and found some books i will read. If someone see's this can you help clarify a couple of things for me. The five websites that i built for businesses all have registered domain names with network solutions, will i then contact network solutions and have those addresses linked to me via my address from my isp? One of my clients contacted thier host provider and asked them to give me control over thier site, and i went to network solutions and and saw the contact information but not sure about the next step. Am i in over my head without extensive networking knowledge or will books like "Administering IIS4" and "DNS on windows 2000" get me there? I read a topic on static isp's, will i need to contact my isp and get these before i can do anything with these sites or future ones?

yes, you will have to ask Network Solutions to point the for their domain to the IP address of your webserver.
Then install IIS on the server, install all hotfixes
disable the default website,
create 'New site' for all your websites,
(put them on another disk than the default c: drive),
use host header names
(and input the website address of each website : for website 1 : For website 2 : and so on

If possible, put your server behind a firewall

good luck ---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be
*:->* Did this post help? Click below to let me know !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back