Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Filtering software

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamaro

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2003
US
I'm looking for a web filtering solution i have about 100 users. in the past i used Surfcontrol but its so expensive, all i want is to block sites by user dont care about all the reporting.

Websense bought Surf Control, and Surf Control's no longer available. They're making old customers switch. That's a shame since Surf Control worked so well, and could be setup to work passively, so if it failed it defaulted open.

I was just tasked to find something for the purpose, and after looking around, decided on a Barracuda Networks filter, which includes hardware and 3 years of updates for $2750 - $3700, depending on who gives you the prices. We paid $2750 for ours.

It just came today and is still in the box, but it looked great in the demo.

Dansguardian is easy to implement. Small charge for commercial usage

Or Squidguard and Squid which is free.

Or look at the Smoothwall site for other Linux low cost offerings

Websense have incorporated all the features of Surfcontrol.

Look out for Websense 7. Due to be released very soon.

Well, the big attraction for me, with barracuda, is that it plugs in and goes easily, in theory, and doesn't require the purchase of a server that costs more than the software itself. Websense's requirements are pretty beefy, whereas we used to run SurfControl on a Windows 2000 machine with 768Mb of RAM and 80GB of drive space.

I use websense, but your firewall may have an option to do web filtering.

The watchguards, have the option to do web content filtering, if you buy the addtional license.

It is cheaper than websense. We found with the old version the reporting wasn't good enough. But we have not tried the new.

maybe your firewall has an option?

i will have to look at watchguards web filtering the only part I'm interested is the blocking by user.

Websense uses hardly any resources. I've got it virtualized. Other than it ramping up the processor while it's reading the big content file, it's almost always nearly idle. 1GB of RAM....

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back