Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web development shop infrastructure help

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjsingh01

ISP
Sep 8, 2007
US
I am starting a 5 person web development shop and would really like some help in setting up the office infrastructure.

Right now the plan is to buy 5 workstations, and an in-house windows server. This server would be used for day to day tasks like exchange server, file sharing, version control, print server, backups, etc.

I am planning to collocate another linux server for qa testing, client presentations, web hosting etc.

Does this look about right for a start?

How would you split up the dev and qa environments with the above resources?

Having just spent 4 years with a small web dev company I highly recommend you consider the option of a partner that can manage infrastructure and collocation so you can focus on your core competency.

I can't tell you how many times projects were delayed and impacted due to infrastructure.

Go ahead and tell me you have those skills and it won't be a problem. My answer: You should be in managed services for infrastructure if those are the skills you have.

Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back