Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web design 'causes confusion'

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkymonk

Technical User
Dec 18, 2000
GB
Thought this may be of some interest.....

funkymonk2.jpg

funkymonk@blueyonder.co.uk

interesting article. i totally agree with the comment about sites being too flashy and whatnot

there are lots of designers out there who can make really cool stuff, but it's totally disorganized and annoying to navigate

i follow the philosophy of less is more =)

Ah, but do you know who said that, iostream71, and in what context it was said? ... Knowledge is attained only by seeking out that which is unknown

Okay, I'll bite. What was the context?

Loius Sullivan said it when he was talking about his sky-scrapers (Sullivan is supposed to have created the first "sky-scrapers") ... at the time the Victorians were still smothering everything in floral and marine designs, but Sullivan wanted to concentrate on clean lines and plain facades. So in his opinion, less decoration was more aesthetic appeal. Pretty relevent to the web-pages of today too, don't you think?!

Another good one is "Form ever follows function" ... especially where Flash design is involved. Knowledge is attained only by seeking out that which is unknown

Thanks for the background...used the phrase often enuf that I should know where it originated.

Yes, I agree. Now if I could just convince my boss of that...

Ah ... bosses are the worst. Don't understand how it works yet are SO quick to tell you how to do your job ... Knowledge is attained only by seeking out that which is unknown

My favorite came yesterday "I want a 4 minute product demo film in Flash. Our competitor has one. Never used flash before? Well, I've checked out the flash software, it looks easy. I estimate you need 2 1/2 days for this. When can you start?"

"I can start when you give me a serious breif!"

Except that answers like that usually end up with a visit to the local job centre ... :) Knowledge is attained only by seeking out that which is unknown

Haha! Funny.

My favorite is when he prefaced his request by saying a flash demo is "a type of documentation." I was hired as a technical writer 10 mos ago.

Now, I try to be flexible. Since being hired in addition to the usual documentation stuff I've led workshops, dealt with angry customers, and written conference lectures for the boss, which is all within the realm of acceptibility. But my flash experience is limited to the few hrs I spent fooling around with it in college, and as far as the boss knows I've never set eyes on it. Even so, he wants me to create a professional demo in 2 1/2 days after "downloading it from the web and deciding it's easy". (Gee, I hope learning the software is included in that generous amt of time.) Yeesh. I'm discovering what it means to work for a small company. Maybe it's just because the owner's the boss. Or European. Or both. I need a capuccino.

How about a dozen short and stong expressos? Think you're going to need them! Regards,

oldman3.gif

4 minutes......Sheeeeeeeeeeeeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.......

Thats like a month in human time..The best flash intro's are only thirty seconds..A 4 minute demo would take you alot longer than 2 days to create..Well I mean I guess you could, but you would definatly be able to tell you did it in 2 days..

Sounds like the boss gots a wild hair sticking him in the you know what..Funny how that works and when it does, they expect you to just say "ok, yah sure, no problem!"..

Douche bags..
logo.gif

carlsatterwhite@orlandomediasolutions.com

Hope he doesn't expect to serve it on the 'net! Most would reach retirement age before it finished loading! Better to use mpeg or avi! There's always a better way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back