Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web client spooks??? spyware etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gggfff

Instructor
Mar 9, 2001
US
Today I started getting a message saying there is an "updated web client" download available. There is no identifier as to the source who wants to update what. How can I identify who wants to send update. I have not downloaded until I know the source.

Thanks

gggfff

If you think it is spyware then try downloading AD-Aware from lavasoft run it then get rid of what spyware is currently installed. If the message still appears least you know its not any common spyware.

Does it show in msconfig/Startup tab?
Flush your TIF cache and Downloaded Program Files directories and reboot...does it still give you the message?
Try, also, going to Internet Options/Advanced and uncheck the box: Enable 3rd party browser extensions

Another option is to look at task manager (CTRL+Alt+Del) before this happens - write down what is running. When it pops up again, open task manager & see if there's anything new listed. There's no title at the top of the window?

I'd give in to curiosity and allow the upgrade and then get rid of any spyware. If you get rid beforehand, you'll never know what application needed upgrading. DOS Tip #1701: Add DEVICE=FNGRCROS.SYS to CONFIG.SYS
Phil
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Just now getting back to this thread, Phil, and would take issue with it...
I FOR SURE don't want something downloading that I don't know what it is.
Whatever needs updating I'll take care of on my own, thank you.
(worth exactly what you paid to hear it!) LOL

"If you think it is spyware then try downloading AD-Aware from lavasoft run it then get rid of what spyware is currently installed."

At this time, the use of Ad-aware is not recommended since there have been no updates in four (4) months. A new version is expected soon. The risks of non-detection or improper or dangerous handling of new spyware variations is quite high at this time.

Try SpyBot (Search & Destroy) in the meantime. It is also freeware.

Do you have Adobe Installed? - not the free versions, the proper package. That certainly has that feature.

The other point is, if it genuinely is updating the web client of some software then the software package is already on the machine and the "damage" is done.

Accepting the download will not make the situation any worse than it already is - but you should get to know what is being updated.

You can either keep refusing and never know - or bite the bullet, which may not give you the answer you want but it will get rid of the NAG.

Usually I would recomend taking a backup before such a step but what is the point of restoring an "infected" system - it's better to start fresh (in my opinion). ;-)

Regards. Running a PC without backups is like driving a car without a seatbealt. Your knack'ed when you crash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back