Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web based email

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarm

Programmer
Aug 13, 2001
US
Hi,

Looking for what works best with sendmail for web based email. I was considering maybe squirrelmail.

I currently have sendmail configured and running
for about 30 accounts. If I were to add webmail will my friends using outlook,eudora and the like still be able to access there mail with there current client software?

Thanks

I use horde's imp. I have only one mail account on my server. It works, but not great.

-venkman

At my work we use Opeb Webmail and I just recently set it up on my Linux server at home.

I can send mail out but still working on incoming. I'm just playing around with IMap2000 and Postfix. I'm still a newbie. :)

check this thread out
thread54-421906

has alot to stuff

Ben

Hi,

Thanks to all who replied with opinions. Since I have been considering setting up a web based email now I'm thinking of trying qmail. I have read some articles that qmail is a more efficient and secure then sendmail. Would changing over to qmail be a wiser move for webmail or should I just stick with sendmail? I haven't had any issues in over a year using sendmail I'm just wondering if performance wise it would be better to switch over to qmail. I wonder what mta yahoo and hotmail use for webmail?

Thanks

I posted this in another thread:

I use webmin too! It's a great interface for administering your Linux box remotely. If I need to login I use a program called SecureCRT. Anyways, I recently setup my webmail server and I was having trouble receiving incoming messages. This is what I did to get everything to work perfectly.

I installed IMap2000 RPM package
Then I installed Postfix RPM package
After this, I logged into my Webmin and went to -> Networking -> Extended Internet Services and started the imap and pop3 services.

Then I went to Servers -> Sendmail Configuration and stopped the sendmail service. Now click on Servers -> Postfix Configuration to setup all my settings and started the postfix service.

My mail server can be accessed via web browser at or it can be setup to send/retrieve messages in Outlook Express using mail.mabaho.com as the incoming and outgoing mail server.

I'm a newbie at Linux :) Been playing around with it for the past two weeks and I love it. I learn something new everyday. Good luck!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back