Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web based database system? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidd31415

Programmer
Jan 25, 2006
US
I am looking for a database system that can be configured and used entirely through a web server. I am hoping there is a term for the type of product I am looking for, please let me know if there is.

One way I can describe this is that I would like the functionality of Microsoft Access but all programming should be performed through a web page. This sounds ridiculous to me so let me explain my situation:

My department is currently using a half-working database for work-orders. The system is used by others to submit orders as well as by us to view, edit, and sort orders. Our IT department is unable to develop this program further and has offered to purchase and install a web server-based application for use in its place.

We would like the ability to add/remove fields, change the appearance of the data entry and review pages, export data, and perform queries on the data.

Please let me know if any products come to your mind.

I would prefer to write an app myself, with Visual Studio, Access, or PHP/MySQL but our IT department is against allowing my department to write code (fair enough). I am hoping to find something that my department can at least configure since we have been left hanging for two years and our work has suffered because of it.

If there are no solutions that fit our needs exactly please advise of the best solution you can recommend. I have been looking into content management systems and booking systems but have not found one that looks promising for our uses yet. I think a customizable booking system would be great if it supported queries across all of its fields...

Thanks,

David

>"What's the catch?"

Oracle salespeople. They will pester you for the rest of your life, possibly beyond.

harebrain said:
Oracle salespeople. They will pester you for the rest of your life, possibly beyond.

Afterlife Receptionist:"Hello, Eternity, Inc.; how may I direct your call?"
Oracle Rep: "Yes, hello! I'm calling for davidd31415; is he available?"
DR: "I'm sorry, he's troubleshooting a permissions problem on the Oracle system right now. Would you like to leave a message?"
Oracle Rep: "Please have him call me at his earliest convenience about upgrading his database and application suites."

/REPEAT

Phil H.
-----------
A virtual machine ate my accounting data. I transferred it to a physical box, then I beat it to smithereens with a sledgehammer. I feel better.

Very entertaining, Phil. :)

You know, some people do think Larry Ellison is the devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back