Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web and non-web GUI for mySQL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I want to

a) create and publish a database on the web
b) distribute the database with a similar GUI on a CD-ROM

If I use MySQL+PHP for the web, how do I most efficiently create a similar database GUI to go on the CD-ROM? PHP only works on a server, right? I'd like my CD-ROM application to be platform independent, if possible.

Any ideas?

PHP and MySQL had been released for almost any platform. The code you develop on them is platform independent.

However, there are different versions for every OS (e.g. Windows, Linux, Mac...)

The easieast way to create such distribution, is through web pages. The best web server (In versions for all platforms) for doing this, is the Apache http server.

Having PHP MySQL and Apache together, you can write your web programs, and then run them in every platform who has installed the above three distributions.

What about CD-roms? You can even install the server to run from your cd rom. You can find the how-to on Apache's web site:
On the other hand, if you want to create a program written in php, and making connections with mysql (a atandalone binary distribution, right?), then act like you would do with every other language. There are Gui application to do that although not yet so good as in other language (like bc++, Vc++, or delphi), and there are a lot of resources for helping you on development on There have been also packages (libraries e.t.c.) just released on Linux for developing applications in php on Linux, as you would do with c or tcl, e.t.c.
On that last option, It's much much better to work on Unix systems.

Of course on a "web site" like setup, every platform that fits you can do the work!

Hello again! I forgot to tell you that, gui interface applications for managing the mysql server and it's databases, you can find almost in every platform.

I have tried such applications on Windows and Linux, and are really nice and very professional (The MySQLfront for Windows really impressed me! It's free, and you can do almost anything. I don't remember the url right now, but you will find it from the list of guis on the mysql site such as also other links to similar applications)

alkis

Your thoughts about installing the Apache server to run from a CD Rom were quite facinating to me, and an option that had not occured to me.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back