Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Web Access Problem..... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Programmer
Oct 16, 2003
US

Okay, here is my setup...

I have a Linux machine running a web server IN my LAN. It is behind a firewall and NOT on the DMZ. So when people come to my site using the domain name, they see the webpage. However, when i use a computer in my LAN to access the web, i am seing my firewall login prompt.

The thing is, the web server is hosting multiple VHOST sites, so when people access my domain, it sees the site, but not from me. Why?

Is it because...???
1) I do not have reverse DNS
2) firewall does not support HTTP/1.1 (hence, vhost)

or what?

If you know the solution to my problem, and make it allow my computers in my LAN to see the site, please tell me.

Thanks,

Place an entry for your webserver in your hosts file on you workstations in your lan. If that does not help you then use the lmhosts file.

What is the IP addressing scheme on your local network? Are you using non-routeable addresses and NATting incoming traffic to your web server?

If so, the problem is likely that your firewall's NATting only works for traffic coming in from the internet.

If so, comtec17 is right -- with the caveat that you add the nonrouteable address to your hosts files.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Typically this problem occurs because you are using NAT. From the outside, you get a public IP address that points to your firewall, which is NAT'd to an internal address, and you see your web server.

When you request your webserver internally, you get a public address that points to your firewall, only the firewall will not NAT the internal connection and point you to an address that was on your local subnet anyway. Hence, the firewall's web page.

As comtec17 says, if you use a hosts file, or have a local DNS server, you should be OK.

pansophic

pansophic: you have explained the problem very well. I liked your reply very much. I am giving a star to your reply =)

Nobody is perfect =(
I am nobody =D

Thanks.... but some more issues...

I am only familiar with Linux hosts files. I am not familiar with my workstation (win2k) hosts file. How do i modify it?

The thing is, my server is hosting multiple domains, hence VHOST. so is all i do is just map the private IP to the domain in my workstations hosts file?

help please.
thanks.

HEY OKAY... I GOT IT.
much easier than i thought.

thanks guys. you were a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back