Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

web access of emails 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesNicholls

Technical User
Dec 25, 2001
GB
Anyone know how to set up web access for exchange so users can access mail over the web?
Win 2k server and clients but exchange 5.5

Thanks to you both.

Anyone know how, once it is set up you actually access your emails via the web and also if the calendars etc become accessable?

Hi there

I have OWA installed on my server but I don't think it is configured correctly yet to allow 'external' access to network email. Internally I have tested it on a web browser using the following URL:

This then prompts you to enter the network username and password for that user. This all works fine. However when outside work, say at home, I test it by typing in the same URL but it eventually says Gateway Timeout the server could not be reached.

What is the problem here? And how do I make my IP address of our server 'reachable' or recognised on the web?

The network I run is on Windows 2000 and we have SBS 2000 and Exchange.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you

MHUK

...It could be that I am using the wrong IP address in the URL when trying to access our network email. The IP I am using is just the IP address of our network server. Is this correct?

Thank you again for any help with this and my previous post above.

MHUK

Is the ip address assigned by your ISP? I don't know if your firewall has anything to do with it, but you should check that as well.
Jim

Internally you need to use the following URL:

Externally you need to use the following URL:

Help! I've fallen and I can't reach my beer.
cheers.gif

You need to be able to access your server(primary Address) over the net.

Example.
A server using two nic cards (LAN 192.168.0.1) WAN (10.0.0.1) and router(10.0.0.100)
If you have a static IP address (203.114.76.234)you would type 203.114.76.234/exchange.

The request would reach your router. You need to configure your router to forward port 3389 to the WAN NIC (10.0.0.100).

The request would then reach the wan nic(10.0.0.100) and you need to configure a port forward of 3389 to LAN(192.168.0.1) "I suggest using RAS/NAT and configure the port forward on the wan interface"

The request now reaches your Destination.

If you dont have a static ip use a dynamicDNS provider eg:

I thought I had installed OWA on teh server but it all happened very quick. How can I tell if it did install?

go to iisadmin and look for /exchange in the default folder.

Or internally go to mailserver/exchange from any box on the lan.

Can't see anything in IIS admin that says Outlook Web Access, does that mean it didn't install?

just try and wait for the OWA login page. (It's big and yellow and easy to navigate) if you get that, try logging in with your username's alias on exchange 5.5 for instance it's usually firstname first initial of the last name like Joey Styles is Joeys and try loggin in from there.

I've tried and tried it just doesnt work! Internally no problems though..... help!

I had the same problem. In my case the the domain name was not being resolved. However, internally the mail.domain/exchange worked, externally I could use the ip address, ex. Once I had the domain name resolving correctly it worked. Now internally we use the ip address of the exchange server (10.0.0.XX) and externally the The external IP address still works as well.

Yeah try the IP address itself then, also ensure port 80 is open on your router that's connected to the internet and try it. If that doesn't show up, I'm thinking that your having NAT issue and the ports are resolving inward.

You need to do a couple of things to ensure web access works via the Internet:

-You have already tested internally so you will know if OWA is set up and running ok.

- Set up your router/firewall to allow and forward external connections to the exchange server, as mentioned on Port 80 if that is the [default] port that IIS is listening on.

-If you wish to access your server via a normal web address rather than by IP, you need to configure the domain name - I always use etc - this involves getting the domain's admin to add an 'A host record' for the domain that points at the router's external IP address. Probably worth doing as most users will find this easier to memorise than the IP address...

HTH

JB

Thanks for that! How do I configure the domain name and where?

Very Strange but now even trying to access OWA internally I get this:

ERROR
The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL:
The following error was encountered:

Connection Failed
The system returned:

(111) Connection refused
The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back