Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We scheduled a report thru BCA on a

Status
Not open for further replies.

vani65

Programmer
May 19, 2003
AU
We scheduled a report thru BCA on a daily basis.In certain case if it is a delay in ETL process the report may get scheduled late.If that is the case on certain time we need to call the DBA.So we want to automate this process using SDK.Is it possible using VBA?
If so,Please help me out in this issue..!
we are using BO 6.1 ,Oracle 9i ,Solaris and Tomcat AppsServer.
Thanks in advance..!

Hi,

If you want to make your automated report runs after your DB jobs finished, one of the options is to use a flag file. When you schedule report, set flag file name in the file watcher text box, which is located under the Schedule tab. Do not forget to check the 'Delete flag file' checkbox. Upon completion of the ETL process, ftp the flag file from the database to the location you specified in the scheduler. BCA will wait to run the report untill it would not see the flag file. Also, you can pass report parameters, if you need any, through the flag file and read them with VBA. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for reply,
I never used file watcher, can you please explain me clearly how it work? How to create a flag file?
Regards,

Flag file is any file that can be created by spooling data from SQL Plus or invoking file creating commands from Java, Perl, VB or any other language. It doesn't metter what information do you pass in the file or what extension file has. BO looks only if the file exists.
File watcher is the text book you can find when you schedule you report from BO client. It is not a separate application.

You simply are supplying a file to the server that will be the trigger for the BCA job to start.

I would suggest using a combination of the trigger file and the time.

Steve Krandel
Knightsbridge Solutions
formerly BASE Consulting Group

How do I pass parameters to my vba macro using the flag file??

We do the same thing SKrandel suggests. We find it to work very well. At a specific time it goes out and starts looking for a file. When it is there it runs.

How do you ever pass parameters to your macro using the Broadcast Agent?

This isn't any different. All the filewatcher does is allow the reports to run based on an event (existence of the file) instead of based on a certain time.

Steve Krandel
Westbay Solutions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back