Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We have several remote users who ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colpritt

MIS
Jan 8, 2004
US
We have several remote users who have in the past simply used their home office telephones... but have recently requested regular extensions at the corporate office, where callers could be transferred and be routed to their home office telephone.

I added the extensions, used a separate cover path for each where the first (and only) coverage point was a remote cover path that goes to their home telephone number. Seemed to work fine... until other employees tried to dial the extensions. They get the "cover" tone and then a fast busy (not a wave-off). The only difference between the general user population and myself is in the COR and COS - COR being that I have access to Facility Test Calls and COS being that I have console permissions. Everything else is EXACTLY the same. If I change another user to my COR, it works - they can call the extensions and are routed out via the remote cover path.

Seems I've checked and re-checked everything and I can't figure out what the problem is, but I've apparently overlooked something.

Definity Prologix, MultiVantage version 11, Octel voice mail.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Doreen

i believe you will need to elevate their COS to console permissions and make sure their COR is the same as the trunk it sends out on.

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Thanks PBXMan! But, changing the COS doesn't have any effect. And the COR and FRL's are good - the users can dial the remote telephone number directly with no problem, just not via the extension. ??? I'm at a total loss! Can you think of anything else? Thank you!!

If im understanding you correctly - you can successfully dial the extension, and it covers to the remote phone, right? But it doesn't work for other users without your access level?

If everything's exactly the same - there must be a setting in their COR or COS that needs to be changed as well. If the only change you made was their COR, and it works for them, there must be a restriction on the extension you setup that wont allow those users COR to access the COR of the extension covering to home. ? It's gotta be something permission-related like that.

As a test, duplicate a station of an inside user that gets the wave-off tone, and just give them the same coverage path of a remote user. Dial their extension from your phone, and see if it covers off-net. Then, have an internal user dial their extension and see if that covers off-net.

If it works in both cases, you know it's got to be the extensions you setup for the home users that is the problem.
If it works for just you, and not the internal user - you know it's THEIR permissions that is causing the trouble.

I hope i explained that okay. Clear as mud, right? ;)

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

[ramble]You can set up x-mobile stations. X port a DID and brdg the xmobile to the DID. Set up a cov path for the DID to just ring. That way the home office number is used for voicemail. If the user has two seperate lines at home even better. If it is a single line they would need call waiting. This will allow internal people to dial a extention. When the user calls into your office, the x ported ext will display making it seem as though they are in the office. Assuming they don't block their home number from caller id and that your switch has caller id. [/ramble]

You don't detail how you are getting the calls out to the remote sites. Are you using the telecommute feature? or vectoring at all? There is also a field in the COS form-"restrict call fwd-off-net" you may want to check that.

Hi again! Thanks to all of you for the help!

PBXMan - Yep, clear as mud. : ) Just kidding, you explained it perfectly and I understood. And I tried it. With the same result as I've been having - I could call the new extension, other internal users couldn't. More ideas?

N00benduser - I don't have DID's. Incoming POTS and outgoing T1. Only way to get to an extension during business hours is via the receptionist, auto attendant at night.

Pyrochris - You're right, I left out some info. External callers are transferred to a the remote users station (a "pretend" / X ported station). That station's cover path goes to the remote cover path which is the remote user's home number. Only other thing I can think to mention is that the stations have non-messaging mailboxes assigned to them (Octel) so that at night, the extension and dial-by-name option is available to external callers for these remote folks.

I've printed out the COR's for second opinions, to make sure I'm not missing anything. They are identical. And the COR for the remote user is the same as the COR for the internal users. The other thing that's weird is that I created a whole new COR, identical to the internal users COR.... and a station assigned that COR can dial the extensions just fine. ??? I am totally stumped and very frustrated! The only other thing I can think of.... we upgraded about a year ago to release 11. All COR's except for the new one I just created to test this were created PRIOR to the upgrade. My thought is that it's similar to a problem I had with TTI'ing right after the upgrade - ports that had previously been TTI'd worked fine. Cubes where no one had sat before would not allow me to TTI a phone, I had to find the port and enter it manually. Do you think this could be something similar?

Any thoughts are very much appreciated! Thanks!

In your cor's when you made the new one did you check to see that you had the calling permissions set the same as the other?(page2)

As for the problem with tti, you might try turning it off on the system and then re activating it. It should then list all the ports.

One more thing. I'm still not clear how you are getting out remotely. Are you using the cover remote table? or a vector? I know you said your first and only point was a remote number, but how. That's an important piece of the puzzle.

Bobg1 - Yes, the calling permissions are the same on all 3 COR's. Thank you!

Pyrochris - Sorry, yes, it's the remote call coverage table. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back