Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We have just purcahsed a company wh 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibearian

Technical User
Jul 4, 2001
GB
We have just purcahsed a company who use MAC's with File maker pro 5.5. We have sucessfully tested the files on a windows version but don't really know what we need to buy.

We have 5 MACS (soon to be pc's) sharing several filemaker pro DB's. Is file maker pro like MSAccess where you need a client or do you need a server product or what ??????

sorry to be so stupid but i need to find out a lot of info in a realy short amount of time

ibearian.

PROJECT H
mailto:ibearian@projecth.co.uk

server- if u need to share more files and administer them...
"standard" pro- if only a few fiels need to share u can use any FM with sharing anabled
developer - if u like to make standalone FM drivern application
Unlimited- if u want to use/server over the web

depends on your desiers and setup......again, U can use simply just a standard FM version and "dedicate it" to serve the files....admin side is a bit trickier as far as timing and backup.scheduling etc. but workable...I belive that number of shard fiels is limited to 50...not sure though.
Anyhow, write more about what are your need and goals.
All the best!

> need more info?
:: don't click HERE ::

no way more simple than than.

we have three cuncurrent users using 5 or so seperate DBs on the same server

so from what you say we just a simple filemaker pro applications on each workstation.

ibearian.

PROJECT H

just that easy.....ones sharing of the docs is anabled on the server or workstation......simply "File--open remote" and enter/browse to your server/files and there you go.
assign rights/passwords to files....it is a cross platform DB (linux,Win,Mac)....u can also piblish the DBs over the web just as well...
let me know if u need more info...
Have fun!

> need more info?

thankyou for your help

Are there any good help/user sites ? i need to get clued up on fiklemaker pros's ODBC set up and stuff for Crystal reports

ibearian.

PROJECT H

also,
is FM community that has great sample files and a lot of good discussions/forums.
Good Luck!

> need more info?

PC or MAC or Linux
makes no difference as far as FM use

:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:
fugitive.gif

ok,ok...I did shoot the deputy but he told me he was the sheriff!
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------:

i've used both......not so sure why every one thinks the mac is so cool. i just find it a bit more querky and i really miss my other mouse button. find the whole monitor/pc in one is a bad idea as the screens get really bad phos' burn in and so with my PC i would pick up a new monitor with my mac i am stuffed.

they do look better on the desk though !

as for filemaker I liked it but never really got much out of it, i have MSSQL on a win2k platform using Coldfusion so why would go for FMpro ?

thanks anyway

R

ibearian.

PROJECT H

MSSQL and ColdFusion is a little steep for a 5 client network..The MSSQL license is like $6000 not to mention the learning curve vs filemaker (which they already own)

"Simple - Keep the Macs. They are more stable..."
right, so if the macs are pre-OS9 and the soon to be PC's are windows XP- I don't think this is true.

i haven't seen much difference in FMPro's performance on any platform with comparable equipment- however I've used FMServer on both platforms and the Windoze version is MUCH more stable- i've had nothing but problems running FMServer on OS X.

=========================================
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back