Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We have been expereinceing a wierd

Status
Not open for further replies.

junior238

Technical User
May 21, 2001
US
We have been expereinceing a wierd problem between a 3550 and a 2950G. Both switches are running 12.1(11)EA1 and are connected via LX gbics at 1 gig. Every so often the 3550 reports %ETHCNTR-3-LOOP_BACK_DETECTED and shuts down the interface connected to the 2950G. I can't find any other useful information besides the error message.

When I go to cisco and look at what the message means it says to check the cabling and see if a balan cable is connected. I'm lost, could someone lend a helping hand.

PJ

This problem seems to be a looping problem of your network connectivity. The traffic in your network is flowing in a loop due to which the packet will be dropped after a certain amount of time. This happens because by default the spanning tree is on in the switch. I would recommend you that draw the topology of your network on a peice of paper by checking the cables connected into your network.

This problem seems to be a looping problem of your network connectivity. The traffic in your network is flowing in a loop due to which the packet will be dropped after a certain amount of time. This happens because by default the spanning tree is on in the switch. I would recommend you that draw the topology of your network on a peice of paper by checking the cables connected into your network.
TalktoMe

I was going to try this, but cisco has gotten ride of the handy debug commands that show this. I was also searching for new commands that act like debug ethernet-controllers addr but couldn't find them.

Exactly the same problem I had, check for VTP settings as well (2900 preferably should be set as Transparent).

It seems to be a STP issue.

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back