Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We have a Latency problem on a 100M

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbeever

Technical User
Sep 5, 2001
GB
We have a Latency problem on a 100Mb Lan

Some users suffer from a time lag whereby what’s entered in Word does not appear on the screen immediately. This is very intermittent. No data is lost and the problem is deemed to be annoying. It may also happen in other applications but it is not as noticeable.

Is this normal or is there something we can do? How can we track down why?

John Beever

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. But is this not for WANs? How can it help in a high speed LAN?

If you are using compression in your ICA session, turn it off, not neccesary on a 100Mb link. Also make sure you don't have massive bitmaps coming down all the time. If you have mouse movements queued and on a high setting, turn the queue size down. Shouldn't make a difference.

Oh yes, if you have people printing to Deskjet printers via autocreation or any heavy printing going on via ICA sessions, this could have an effect (although you'd have to be printing war and peace on a 100Mb link to slow it I guess) Also check the nic on the server is set explicitly to 100MB Full, and that your switches/routers are set up to take that and are not set to Auto negotiate (had that problem once myself)

What is the average time for a ping between the network the server is on and the network the client is on?

BTP

Thanks for that - will check all this. Ping time is < 30ms I think will check also.

We are having the same problem. I checked the Server, and the SLR seems to be running on the applications, but when I checked my connection settings in Citrix Program Neighborhood, SLR was set to Off.
Does this have to be set at the client as well as the server?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

if SLR is running on an application on the client, it will show in the taskbar of the published app window &quot;(Speed screen Latency reduction is ON)&quot;. if it's not there, it's not on (text echo anyhow, mouse movements are on by default. I don't think you need to worry too much about that though).

Hope that helps

BTP

Maybe I just don't get it. I don't have that banner across the bar, so how do I turn it on? I thought from reading the manual link in xs4citrix's post that I did it.
From the SLR manager window, I see my server and Word, Outlook, and Excel. When I go to the Application settings for any above, I see checkboxes, that are unchecked, to disable local text echo.
I tried adding one of the apps that already have it, as a test to enable slr, and it said this is already running. But still I do not get the Speed Screen Latency Reduction is ON in the bar at the top.
What am I either not understanding and/or missing?!

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

SLR only works for published apps not a published desktop that we have. We are going to look at lots of areas tomorrow such as the raid cache. We think that the server just stalls for a second now and again!!

As a side issue, I'd also check the settings on the server nic(s) as well as the settings on the switch it's plugged into. Specifically, ensure that if one thinks that it should be running at 100Mb/Full duplex, that the other is also set to do that. If not sure, test by manually setting both to half duplex. Some switches/nic combination auto settings get confused and if one thinks it should be running at full duplex and the other thinks it should be half, hilarity ensues.... well, maybe not hilarity, but definitely weird/poor performance.

Cheers

I finally have the SLR working correctly. But, I still notice Latency when running IE. Is this a common problem? If so, is there a fix or work-around to get past this latency/IE thing?

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Metaframe XP has speen screen improvements for IE. it allows you to scroll while the JPGS are installing and some (but not all) gifs. I think you can get the client to redirect the content to your local browser, which might be intresting, but I'm only just fumbling around with XP after being a 1.8 admin for about 3 years! so I'm a little sceptical of it's talents

:)

Cheers

BTP

Try clearing your cache on the local client in Citrix Program Neighborhood, tools, ica settings, bitmap cache.

Matt

We've found lots of context switching at times - is this causing a perceived latency in the server is busy? Also, we see cftmon.exe running for everyone. Is this causing a problem? Why is it loading? It's something to do this Alternative user input - users have office 2000.

Found the cause of the excessive context switching - it's Trend Micro pattern updates!! It runs every hour ans lasts a minute or so. This in turn causes server to be less responsive.
Does anyone know why ctfmon.exe is loading (not using Office XP) for all users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back