Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

We are 5.0, wondering if 6.0 stable yet ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpyone60

Technical User
May 31, 2005
US
Hi,

We are at 5.0 on our CS1000 MG system and vendor is asking us to go to 6.0....

Any one using 6.0 and have comment on if it is worth going to 6.0 right now??? I have heard that 6.5 is coming soon and definitely do not want to be a alpha/beta user of that yet.......

Thanks for any help on making this decision???

At this point in time, I would based the decision on whether or not there is something in 6.0 that you need.

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators - You Can Hire Me Too

I second Gene's opinion ... no sense in going to it unless you are having current trouble or need some feature provided by the higher release. We are on 5.0 as well and our company doesn't like cutting edge either :)

Our SRS was expiring, so we ordered 6.0 upgrades to get the free software upgrade. We are sitting on the software until we have a need to upgrade, such as needing ISM's or a service issue. Our vendor has done a couple upgrades so far and they have had no issues that they could not get past.
With the close of AVAYA/Nortel pending, all of the suggestions for what to do now have been to get to current release as step 1. This gives you additional time of support (3-5) to figure out which way to go.

Panel discussion at VoiceCon last week -
"Customers should expect support and maintenance to continue for the most of the products for a period of time, likely 3-5 years, with the caveat that the customer is running the most recent version of the product. Here's an area where customers may need to upgrade sooner than they were expecting to, but it's never bad to be running the most current versions of products.

We are at 4.5 and decided to do the 6.0 upgrade for the reason above, that we will then be on current hardware at current release.

Ask me in about 48 hours and I'll tell you how 6.0 is...

global pwd is cool, no more logging into Cs, then SS, then GK, etc... the Security is huge (and huge pain)

Mato' Was'aka

6.0 is having some issues. Same as any new release.
If you are a TDM system, 6.0 won't give you anything really new.
If you are wanting to use sip protocol, 6.0 may be worth your trouble. And bigindian is right, the security is a huge pain!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back