Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WD-40 for pulling lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.

swfl

Technical User
Nov 16, 2007
US
The old timers I work with like to use WD-40 as a pulling lubricant for cable (twisted pair, fiber). I always get the " we've been doing it this way for years ". Can there be any problems that would arise from this?

You do not have the same chemical makeup of the cable coatings now days. Yes you can do it and probably get out the door but years from now it may damage the outside coatings and start shorting cables. I don't have any evidence of this but that is a chance you take.

Signature===========================================

Aastra Authorized Reseller

I wouldn't do it with WD-40 on any cables that I needed to support in the future.

There are other products for this. Can't recall the product names.

There are many more means of pulling cable with lube than WD-40. There are techni-lube, Greenlee even makes a lube. When all else fails there is always hand soap from the local bathroom that works well. If you put it on your hands it has got to be safe on cable. Hope this helps as it has for us numerous times.

If you put it on your hands it has got to be safe on cable.

Well there you have it!, I've been using WD-40 on my hands for years! :) :)

Wow. WD40 has petroleum-based aliphatic hydrocarbons which are classified toxic.
Don't get me wrong, WD40, is a great product for lube, penetrating oil and water block of metal but it was not indented for long time skin exposure. Note smell and skin tingle.
Polywater was designed for the task of friction reduction when pulling cable.
Let's assume you wear gloves when doing the cable install, using lube, and then use Jergens on your hands afterwards to prevent industrial dermatitis. QED.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

I was hoping to find a reason it wasn't good to use on cable because I don't like getting the stuff all over me. I've worked with plenty of toxic stuff ( boat paints ) but I would much rather work with something you can wipe off with a rag and water.

They make specific lube just for pulling cable... that should be enough of a reason =)

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

I agree with tnphoneman. In addition, Yellow 77 with Teflon works better, and has longer term benefits than WD40 ever would.

Hand soap, or dish soap tends to solidify over time, too. You wouldn't want to be the tech pulling a cable through a conduit previously fed with that.

Use the correct tool for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back