Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WCS Caching results

Status
Not open for further replies.

grantkj

Programmer
Mar 15, 2002
US
I'm using Crytals Enterprise 8 connected to Oracle and serving up reports via the web.

The intent is to run on demand reports, but I'm finding that Crystal is caching results for me, sometimes.

The JSP app I have is generating URLs of the form:

Any ideas? I have tried a few things and my guess is that Crystal sets a cookie to keep track of how currently you;ve requested that URL. That is just a wild guess...

Is there some server level caching that can be turned off?

You should look at the Crystal Enterprsie On line Documentation under Web Developers Guide and look at the CONNECT parameter: Re-establishes a connection to the Page Server. The CONNECT parameter must be appended to the INIT parameter

This is from the ce8_urlcommands.pdf file right after the discussion about the CONNECT option:

Note: Re-establishing a connection to the Page Server is not the same as
refreshing a report against a database. While the connection to the Page Server
enables the user to reset parameter values and view a different set of
information, if the report contains saved data, it will not need to access the
database for this information. For more details on refreshing a report, see
Refreshing web report data.

I'm pretty confused: for a SQL based report with no saved data, how can it do anything except go to the database and "refresh" its data? Another point is that CONNECT has to be tagged onto to the viewer type parameter and in my case I'm exporting to a file type of PDF, RTF Excel or Word, not using a viewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back